Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute charge off which happened when I was relocated outside US

tag
xp
Established Member

Dispute charge off which happened when I was relocated outside US

I was relocated to India from 06/2008 to 05/2011. During this period, 2 of my BOA credit cards were charged off with balances (~150 on each). Can I dispute these as I didnt receive any statements and wasnt aware about lates on these accounts. I believe the balances were due to auto renewals on some subscription. I got collection for these in 2012 and I took care of them immediately. Maybe that was a bad move. I shouldve tried to negotiate with BOA instead. Do I have any options now? Thanks

Discover 4500, Barclays 2000, Amazon Visa 500, Capital One 1300, Chase Freedom 5000, Amex Delta Platinum 29000 CITI AA 8000 AU on Amex SPG 30,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

Re: Dispute charge off which happened when I was relocated outside US

They're paid so you have nothing to lose by sending out a bunch of GW letters asking BoA and the CA to delete the paid accounts.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute charge off which happened when I was relocated outside US

I presume the lates occured based on billings to a credit card?

Issues related to billings on revolving accounts are covered under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), which provides a comprehensive dispute process of its own.

With credit card accounts, sending of billing statements is the notification to the consumer.  They are not required to separately send notices of delinquency apart from their next billing statement, which shows any delinquency on the account.

That begs the issue of whether you properly notified each creditor of your change in billing adrress when you relocated, or made other provisions to have your important bills forwarded to you.

If you provided proper notification and the billing statements were not sent to you, you should look into a dispute under the FCBA.

Such disputes normally must be made within 90 days of the billing error.  Check out the FT web page for details on the FCBA dispute process.

If you dispute the accuracy of their reporting under the FCRA, they need only investigate and provide a determination as to its accuracy.

The FCBA dispute process has requirements for production of documents related to a dispute that are not part of the FCRA dispute process.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.