cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute comments push your scores down!!

tag
myscore1
New Contributor

Dispute comments push your scores down!!

I am gettting ready to apply for a mortgage, and I have read that underwriters usually ask to have dispute comments removed from the credit reports. I contacted TU yesterday, where I had 3 credit card accounts with the comment: Disputed by customer (or something to that effect - I disputed them about 6 months ago while  trying to get rid of some baddies). Well, I just went into the TU website, and all 3 dispute comments have been removed AND my score has gone from 665 to 718 !!! This is something really significant while rebuilding!

Nothing else has changed in my report in the last 24 hours. No other updates, account reporting, aging, etc. It is true that this is that Vantage 3.0 score (which is what TU gives you on their site), but that is a big jump! I wonder if the same is going to happpen to my FICO scores. TU was my lowest score of all three. I can't wait to buy my 3B reports in a couple of weeks and see if this caused any movement there.

EQ 634 TU 628 EX 662 November 2015
EQ 717 TU 675 EX 727 January 2016
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute comments push your scores down!!

@myscore1 wrote:

I am gettting ready to apply for a mortgage, and I have read that underwriters usually ask to have dispute comments removed from the credit reports. I contacted TU yesterday, where I had 3 credit card accounts with the comment: Disputed by customer (or something to that effect - I disputed them about 6 months ago while  trying to get rid of some baddies). Well, I just went into the TU website, and all 3 dispute comments have been removed AND my score has gone from 665 to 718 !!! This is something really significant while rebuilding!

Nothing else has changed in my report in the last 24 hours. No other updates, account reporting, aging, etc. It is true that this is that Vantage 3.0 score (which is what TU gives you on their site), but that is a big jump! I wonder if the same is going to happpen to my FICO scores. TU was my lowest score of all three. I can't wait to buy my 3B reports in a couple of weeks and see if this caused any movement there.

Get all three FICO 8 scores now for one dollar at Credit Check Total (7day trial)..

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the process for removing dispute comments?  Is that something that I, as the consumer, can do, just by writing the bureaus?

Message 3 of 9
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Following

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off 3 collection accounts and my Vantage Score went from 675 to 747. FICO stayed just about the same.

Message 5 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the process for removing dispute comments?  Is that something that I, as the consumer, can do, just by writing the bureaus?

Read this thread, message 4 tells you how to remove disputes: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Best-Way-to-Remove-quot-Account-In-Dispute-quot-for-Mortgage/m-p/869450#M75029

Message 6 of 9
myscore1
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very easy. I just called them. TU took care of it in less than 4 hours. I just got an alert from EQ. Their algorythm seems to be less sensitive to that change, but my EQ score went up by 5 points. Again, will check all FICO's versions soon.

Message 7 of 9
myscore1
New Contributor

Well, I could not wait anymore and wanted to see what happened to myfico scores...NOTHING....lol. My TU fico8 increased ONE point. EQ did not move at all. I guess, dispute comments really influence Vantage Scores, but the effect on myFiCO is negligible. I do remember that when I placed the dispute initially, my EQ dropped 5 points. It may take longer to recover after removal.. Good to know! 

Message 8 of 9
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Contacted all 3 bureaus today regarding dispute comments. EX & TU is mailing out current reports have to call back with exact tradelines. EQ....removed immediately, I suppose. That's what he said he was doing anyway. Asked me for my email? To send an updated report? We shall see!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.