Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute deleted back on Credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute deleted back on Credit!

I disputed a peoples gas bill because it passed it's statue of limitations and was in a collections. Credit bureaus deleted it after the 30 days. Peoples gas put the bill back on my credit with all three bureau's under a different collection agencies. How do I get rid of this past due bill? Can I dispute it again? If so how many times?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Anomaly

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: Dispute deleted back on Credit!

Being past statute of limitations doesn't effect reporting. This item can stay on your credit report for 7 years and 180 days from DOFD.

Too many to list..
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this item is past the 7 years.  It is still on my credit report. Thanks for replying. Any one else have any ideas on how I can get this removed?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would dispute. I think what the poster above was trying to point out is that statute varies by state but the policies credit bureaus use are a seperate matter, 7 yrs +180 is the limit except for things like bankruptcy which can stay on for 10 yrs. In some states that statute can be up to 15 years. But yes, dispute, it's worked for me. Is it past 7 yrs + 180 days or just over 7 years? Either way I doubt you'll have trouble with anything that old. I'm in a similar situation, though I don't believe the debt the collectors are trying to collect is valid and it's not on my reports but they're threatening to put it there. That's a bit off topic, but yea.. you should have no trouble disputing. They haven't tried to re-age or anything? That's illegal and can be treated as such.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok Thanks its only 7 years and 90 days.  I just hope if I dispute again they don't  see it as a frivoulus dispute. I read that they will dismiss your dispute after so many. it could be 1 or 10 I have no idea. but if any one has information on how many times I can distpute please let me know.  Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You won't get that frivolous dispute if you dispute it for the first time, since this is the first time this particular CA appeared. Likely the previous CA sold it to the new one. I personally wouldn't dispute since it is still within CRTP, though barely. I would pull your full reports from the CRAs to see what their drop off date is listed as (on TU and EX) or DOFD on EQ. I would want to make sure that it is reporting correctly (as opposed to being re-aged). If disputed, and deleted, it can still come back again.

Message 6 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

This is not a situation of inaccurate credit reporting, and thus not a matter for a normal dispute.  It is a matter of improper inclusion of a restricted item in your CR.

The FCRA places no limitation on credtiors or debt collectors in the reporting of accurate information to a CRA, even if the credit report exclusion period has expired.

They can continue to report forever, so your "dispute" is not with the reporting party.

FCRA 605(a) puts the requirement on the CRAs, not the reporting party, to monitor the CR exclusion periods, and discontinue inclusion of an item of information in any CR they issue after the relevant date of expiration.  It relates to credit reporting by the CRA, and not credit reporting to the CRA.

The proper recourse is to file a complaint directly with the CRA under FCRA 605(a).  Make it clear that it is not a dispute of the accuracy of credit reporting, or else they might treat it as a dispute, forward it to the reporting party, and just get verification.  Clearly label your letter to the CRA as a complaint against their improper inclusion of a collection in your CR after the 7 years plus 180-day period set forth in FCRA 605(a)(4), as clarified by FCRA 605(c).

If the CRA is basing the date of exclusion on an improper DOFD in your credit file, which could be the case, then recourse would be to dispute the inaccuracy of that reporting, but if the DOFD is correct, and the period has expired, the beef is only with the CRA.  It does not go through the dispute process, so there is no issue of a frivolous or irrelevant second dispute on the same issue.

Message 7 of 11
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

You won't get that frivolous dispute if you dispute it for the first time, since this is the first time this particular CA appeared. Likely the previous CA sold it to the new one. I personally wouldn't dispute since it is still within CRTP, though barely. I would pull your full reports from the CRAs to see what their drop off date is listed as (on TU and EX) or DOFD on EQ. I would want to make sure that it is reporting correctly (as opposed to being re-aged). If disputed, and deleted, it can still come back again.

What credit reports show the drop off date?! I don't see that when I look at my MY FICO reports. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 8 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@getmycreditright wrote:

@llecs wrote:

What credit reports show the drop off date?! I don't see that when I look at my MY FICO reports. Thanks!

Your full reports as pulled directly from the CRAs show this info on TU and EX only for most of your baddies and some positive, closed accounts. The date for the baddies is a rough estimate of 7 years past DOFD. Your EQ report does not show drop off dates, but does show DOFD quite clearly on baddies. You can get all 3 for free once a year via annualcreditreport.com. Third-party reports, like myFICO, CCT, FCR, TC, and others, do not show this info.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask the credit bureaus to verify the debt. Ask them for physical proof. Dixon-rollins v Experian
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.