Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute letter sample for CRAs

tag
treski
Frequent Contributor

Dispute letter sample for CRAs

I want to begin by saying that I used the search tool for about 10 minutes before posting this thread.  I can't find a sample, even in the sticky "Commonly Requested Threats" or "Sample Letters."

Does anyone have a sample Dispute Letter that I can send directly to the CRAs?  My plan is to send it Certified Mail (but no RRR).  I'm not disputing this online.

Thank you very much!

NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
treski
Frequent Contributor

Re: Dispute letter sample for CRAs

I should mention that I'm disputing a CA that is kind of a tough-y.  (Unique Collections).  I have a strategy...pay the OC on Thursday (a Library who will accept payment), this library only updates accounts with the CA on Wednesdays, then immediately DV the CA (and include a letter from the library that there is no outstanding balance or collection)and simultaneously dispute with the CRA (with the same letter).  If the CA actually verifies with the OC, they will find no balance and hopefully just quit.

So...I need a suitable Dispute Letter that I can send CM.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 9
treski
Frequent Contributor

Bump
Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would highly recommmend that before you wed yourself to disputing through a CRA that you consider the many advantages of using the alternate direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8).  You are assured that all documentation is received by the creditor/debt collector, and not forwarded to them by the CRA due to their use of their automated e-OSCAR dispute system.  You may also avoid a dispute flag in your CR, and avoid any reinvestigation mucking by the CRA.

As for paying a debt then DVing the debt collector after payment, I see nothing accomplished.  Once they contact the OC and discover the debt is paid, they must report the collection balance as $0, and close the collection account.  Thus, the cease collection bar imposed by the DV wont mean a thing to them.  They do not have to delete based on payment of the debt, and dont have to respond to the DV.  If they even took the time to respond, they could simply state "We verify that the debt balance is $0."

As for also sending a dispute to the CRA, what is the inaccuracy in their reporting?  The only "inaccuracy" would be their failure to as yet not updated the collection balance to $0.  Easily correctible, and not reasonably expected to have already been reported so soon after payment, and probably even before the OC tells them it has been paid.

It will get a dispute flag.  It wont get any deletion.

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A sample form letter that covers the main requirements.....

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was

actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing

that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 5 of 9
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

How do you type in the symbol before the section number?

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In Word, Insert menu, Symbol.

Message 7 of 9
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

O.K.  Thanks!

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 8 of 9
treski
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Robert. I found a blog that thoroughly outlined the process that supposedly discourages this CA and they stop reporting. It does appear to be silly advice. The CA is correct, but I'm just discouraged about it. It's for library books, which I asked my fiancé to return after I gave birth (they're about giving birth). He said he'd handle it. I checked my reports, and then checked the bookshelf. Definitely not handled. I just thought this baddie would be easier to fight off, but after attempting a friendly PFD and receiving a very unfriendly response, I searched the forums and found out that this particular CA is not very accommodating.

I have heard that this CA does stop reporting after only a year (from when you PIF to the OC), so that would be lovely. We want to buy a house in early 2014.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.