Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute on Trans Union.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute on Trans Union.

I recently saw where you can dispute negatives on dispute.transunion.com. I would like to dispute an account that is over 7 years old but made new by a debt collector 2 years ago. There are options listed for dispute but none for the statute of limitations. I don't have any proof to send with the dispute, I just know it is old. Should I dispute this and if so, what option should I choose? Or, am I wasting my time disputing this without paperwork showing the original debt is beyond the statute of limitations? Any advice is highly appreciated!!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute on Trans Union.

What is meant by " I would like to dispute an account that is over 7 years old but made new by a debt collector 2 years ago" ?

What was "made new"? 

If a debt collector reported a collection on a debt related to an OC account, their reporting is entirely separate from,and has no bearing on, the reporting by a debt collector.

Exclusion of any derogs under the OC account would be based on the date of the reported derog made by the OC.

OC accounts themselves are not excluded based on any 7 year period.

What, specifically, is the inaccuracy?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The debt itself was old and was written off by thr oc but when it was bought by the debt collection agency they started reporting it as if I defaulted on the account in 2013. I may not have a leg to stand on. Just didn't know if there was anything I could do to dispute it. The debt collectors have never sent any statements, letters, or calls to me letting me know of this debt. It wasn't until just recently that I knew anything of this debt at all.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the only way I found out about this debt is when I pulled a credit report.
Message 4 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You need to ascertain what the DoFD of the account was, the OC sets the date and the CA or JDB has to operate by that date. If this is past 7.5 years past that DoFD then you can dispute it as too old to remain on file and if it doesnt drop a CFPB complaint or an ITS letter to the CA should get it taken care of.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the info. I don't want to come off as ignorant to all of this. I'm fairly new to this. I'm trying to raise my credit score in order to qualify for a home loan and to have an all around better score. There is so much info on what to do/say and not to do/say. I'm trying to process it all.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more thing, am I correct in assuming that if the oc writes off the debt, after a while, they won't have record of this? Should I contact the oc to find out or am i opening up another can of worms and making new problems?
Message 7 of 11
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

The standard canned reasons don't apply to your situaton. I made a dispute on a similiar situation, but because the canned answers don't apply, the collection was simply verdified. Submit the dispute in writing specifically citing the DOFD and provide documentation if at all possible. Also, include a copy of your driver's license, social security card and a recent bank statement or utility bill. If you don't do that, they will most likely return your dispute 30 days later telling you they couldn't identify you. Also, it is best for the driver's license and social security card copies to be enlarged and 100% readable. I had a recent dispute returned in 30 days simliar with that explanation that the copy of my driver's license was too dark. All of the info was clearly visable and readable. Those things will delay the removal of item.

Above all BE PERSISTENT. It takes a LOT of patience and time to remove items that are incorrect. It took me a full six months to get all three credit bureasus to report my full legal name correctly. 

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The date that a debt collector reports their collection does not make the debt new, or affect when their collection must become excluded from your credit report.

After a debt collector has reported their collection, they must report to the CRA the date of first delinquency on the OC account within 90 days after reporting their collection.

It is the DOFD, and the DOFD alone, that is used by the CRA to calculate when they must exclude the collection from your credit report.

If the reported DOFD is inaccurate,you can dispute that reporting.

If the reported DOFD is accurate and more than 7 years plus 180 days ago and you have evidence that they have issued a credit report that contains the collection, contact the CRA and advise that they are required to have excluded the collection from your credit report.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice. I'm trying to take it all in and do this as accurately as possible. I've only got 2 negatives on account but they are killing my score.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.