Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute or wait for items to fall off? Bank of America goodwill letter denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute or wait for items to fall off? Bank of America goodwill letter denied

I plan to apply for a mortgage pre-approval in 02/2016 and want to remove all negative information from my credit reports before doing so.  The only thing standing between me and a clean credit report is Bank of America and a CC i had with them. Late payments are 30 days late Nov, 60 days late Dec 2008, 30 days late April 2009, 60 days late May 2009, and 90 days late June 2009 and  30 days late January 2011. I have sent 2 goodwill letters to their general address from the credit report and one email to the CEO and they shut me down each time by saying that the information is being reported accurately.  I believe that they are reporting inaccurate information and I think I would be able to have this removed from my report, but is it worth it at this time? Its been 6 years since 5 of the 6 late payments occurred and was wondering if removing the late payments would boost my score or hurt my score due to losing the age of the account, which was opened in 2005. My current AAoA is 4 years 4 months. The inaccurate information shows that the account was closed and opened multiple times, and the last reported date was 2/2015 despite my last payment being made in 2/2014 to pay off the old money owed on the card. Also, its showing a $25 monthly payment. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute or wait for items to fall off? Bank of America goodwill letter denied

@kokenwa wrote:

I plan to apply for a mortgage pre-approval in 02/2016 and want to remove all negative information from my credit reports before doing so.  The only thing standing between me and a clean credit report is Bank of America and a CC i had with them. Late payments are 30 days late Nov, 60 days late Dec 2008, 30 days late April 2009, 60 days late May 2009, and 90 days late June 2009 and  30 days late January 2011. I have sent 2 goodwill letters to their general address from the credit report and one email to the CEO and they shut me down each time by saying that the information is being reported accurately.  I believe that they are reporting inaccurate information and I think I would be able to have this removed from my report, but is it worth it at this time? Its been 6 years since 5 of the 6 late payments occurred and was wondering if removing the late payments would boost my score or hurt my score due to losing the age of the account, which was opened in 2005. My current AAoA is 4 years 4 months. The inaccurate information shows that the account was closed and opened multiple times, and the last reported date was 2/2015 despite my last payment being made in 2/2014 to pay off the old money owed on the card. Also, its showing a $25 monthly payment. Any suggestions?

i would say it depends on what your scores are at right now, if you are high 600 to 700 then i wouldnt worry too much about it. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute or wait for items to fall off? Bank of America goodwill letter denied

I havent checked my FICO scores yet. Credit Karma FAKO is 646 with TU and 703 with EQ

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kokenwa wrote:

I havent checked my FICO scores yet. Credit Karma FAKO is 646 with TU and 703 with EQ

dont rely on CK scores.  u should sign up either on myfico or CCT for the service and start planning accordingly

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, I just wanted to make sure my credit was as good as I can make it before I spend the money to check the scores. Planned on getting FICO scores by the end of this month and once again in early 2016 before I apply for preapproval

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A dispute is limited only to the accuracy of the item of information under dispute, and thus any resolution of items such as open, closed, payment dates, etc would not affect the reporting of the derogs, which are the negative  items affecting your scoring.  They can always either verify what they have reported, or correct so as to overcome any inaccuracy.

Errors or inaccuracies in reporting can be disputed, and if truly inaccurate, corrected, but they are not going to get the account or derogs deleted

I would persist in good-will requests rather than burning bridges by a confrontational dispute that is unlikely to have any substantive effect in your scoring.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.