Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute question

I have four medical collections on my FICO report, I honestly have no info on them and never received any bills on these.

Would it be better to dispute these through the three credit companies ? Or, send DV letters to the CAs ?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Dispute question

If you are certain they are not yours then disputing through the CRAs would be fine.

If you are not certain, you could send the CAs a DV.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the collections are in your CR, the debt collector was required to have sent dunning notice within 5 days of their reporting, at least providing identification of the asserted creditor.  Did they send dunning notice?

A DV does not compel response on thier part, and while appropriate, may just put the issue in limbo.  So I would not rely simply on a DV.

If you can legitimately state that you have no knowledge of any such debt, you may wish to consider use of the FCRA identity theft process.

That process enables a consumer to address both allegations of debt and related credit reporting on accounts that were never athorized by them, and thus they have no actual facts upon which to dispute an inaccuracy in their reporting.

You can go the dispute route, but a dispute is most apt to result in their verification, and the dispute process does not compel them to produce factual documentation.

So the real issue wont be resolved.

An identity theft process, on the other hand, compels documentation.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I never received a dunning letter from the CAs. I did check out the OC and they look like they actually might be from from an emergency room visit, from 2009, but I never received anything on these.

I just checked out Equifax, and going through the dispute route they have "no knowledge of collection" as an option.

If I do online dispute and they come back verified would it hurt my credit anymore than them being on there already ?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.