Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute question

tag
bigjay4x4
Valued Member

Dispute question

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the time frame is or what is typical when you dispute with CRA's, BBB and CA. CA reported new collection showing 0 bal on 4/26.  This CA had never reported the debt before and had never contacted me previously. I posted before about that situation. Letters were sent via fax and reg mail to all and just curious how long I am looking at to have this removed. Not real clear on what the BBB can do to help since the CA is not an accredited company. Trying to be patient and wait but this has hurt my credit score a great deal and is stopping me from getting a home loan. Also, what is the average point increase for a credit card payment with a balance of 3.5% of the CL. Just feeling a little broken right now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Dispute question

@bigjay4x4 wrote:

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the time frame is or what is typical when you dispute with CRA's, BBB and CA. CA reported new collection showing 0 bal on 4/26.  This CA had never reported the debt before and had never contacted me previously. I posted before about that situation. Letters were sent via fax and reg mail to all and just curious how long I am looking at to have this removed. Not real clear on what the BBB can do to help since the CA is not an accredited company. Trying to be patient and wait but this has hurt my credit score a great deal and is stopping me from getting a home loan. Also, what is the average point increase for a credit card payment with a balance of 3.5% of the CL. Just feeling a little broken right now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Morning bigjay. If you filed a dispute through the CRA's they have 30 days. Is the debt yours? Is the OC listed on your reports as well? I would've sent them a DV letter asap. As far as the point increase if it does get deleted can vary in what you can get. It's really hard to say.

Message 2 of 6
bigjay4x4
Valued Member

The OC is also listed on the CR.  The letter sent was a DV to the CA and to the BBB. The ones to the CRA were disputes and yes the debt is mine. However I paid it through a different CA with whom I had talked with previously. This company that listed (Calvary) apparently bought the debt in Feb. and never reported until it had been paid in full for 6 weeks. I had called them and asked them to delete and they said that they can't per their policy and suggested that I file a dispute with the CRA. This is so disheartening since I have worked so hard for the last year to get everything paid and all disputes with CRA had been completed and I was so close to getting my score to where it needed to be for home ownership, which would have been next week by all accounts but then this got thrown on there and now I feel like I am back at square one. I just don't understand enough I guess to know why they would report it after it had been paid when they had never reported the collection before so it wasn't just an update to show a 0 balance it showed up as a new collection.

Message 3 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would

@bigjay4x4 wrote:

The OC is also listed on the CR.  The letter sent was a DV to the CA and to the BBB. The ones to the CRA were disputes and yes the debt is mine. However I paid it through a different CA with whom I had talked with previously. This company that listed (Calvary) apparently bought the debt in Feb. and never reported until it had been paid in full for 6 weeks. I had called them and asked them to delete and they said that they can't per their policy and suggested that I file a dispute with the CRA. This is so disheartening since I have worked so hard for the last year to get everything paid and all disputes with CRA had been completed and I was so close to getting my score to where it needed to be for home ownership, which would have been next week by all accounts but then this got thrown on there and now I feel like I am back at square one. I just don't understand enough I guess to know why they would report it after it had been paid when they had never reported the collection before so it wasn't just an update to show a 0 balance it showed up as a new collection.

Ok, DV letters are only sent to the collection agency. not the BBB. The BBB has no authority over the FCRA or FDCPA. Was the debt paid in full or settled? If settled the remaining bal was probably bought buy Calvery. If paid in full and you have proof the debt was paid in full I would file a formal complaint with the FTC. 

I completely understand where you are coming from. I have been there also and it does get disheartening. Keep your head up and if you ever need to ask a question shoot me a PM, I will answer. Smiley Happy 

Keep me posted!!!

DaBears

Message 4 of 6
bigjay4x4
Valued Member

The debt was settled. Apparently Calvary is the "mother company" if you will who sent it to another agency to collect the debt. I do have a letter stating it has been paid in full. Also I apologize a complaint letter was sent to the BBB. I have a credit guy who prepared all the letters and sent them for me. I only have the copies that he emailed to me. The letter showing paid on Calvary letterhead and shows the actual company that I paid. This letter and proof of payment was sent to them as well. I am just not real good at playing the waiting game and now that it is going on 2 weeks I am getting anxious to see some results and see that they hopefully have deleted it. Thanks for your time and info I really appreciate it.  

Message 5 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@bigjay4x4 wrote:

The debt was settled. Apparently Calvary is the "mother company" if you will who sent it to another agency to collect the debt. I do have a letter stating it has been paid in full. Also I apologize a complaint letter was sent to the BBB. I have a credit guy who prepared all the letters and sent them for me. I only have the copies that he emailed to me. The letter showing paid on Calvary letterhead and shows the actual company that I paid. This letter and proof of payment was sent to them as well. I am just not real good at playing the waiting game and now that it is going on 2 weeks I am getting anxious to see some results and see that they hopefully have deleted it. Thanks for your time and info I really appreciate it.  

Settled and paid in full are completely different. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.