Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute question

tag
Kizzel00
New Contributor

Dispute question

So as I continue to obsess over my credit reports I noticed a difference on something. A collection agency that I paid off in Feb 2010, on my trans union report has it listed as paid collection, but they have the balance date listed as Feb 2012, while on experian they have the balance date listed correctely at Feb 2010. Do you think this would be worth Disputing with CRAs? I don't believe this company is even around any longer, I believe they were purchased by another company last year. Not trying dispute the debt as not mine, just not reporting accurately.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Dispute question

Those balance dates should correspond with the last time the account was updated.  Look at the date updated or the DoLA and see if they match.

Message 2 of 5
Kizzel00
New Contributor

Well I just checked transunion again. The CA reported the account to the CRAs in Feb 2012. Why would they report it 2 full years after I paid it off?
Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt  has been paid, and their last reporting shows $0, inaccuracies in prior reporting would not be a basis for dispute.

Even if prior reporting is shown to have been inaccurate, a furnisher always has the option in any dispute to simply correct a prior inaccuracy.

If they have already done so, there is no current inaccuracy.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.