Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute question

tag
lessonslearned
New Contributor

Dispute question

If I dispute an account with one CRA and they remove the late, do they alert the other two CRAs to remove? I think Conn's might remove a 30 day late from 2011 because they can't find record of the late in their system. I disputed with Experian and I'm waiting on their reply.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Dispute question

No.  

And if you already contacted the OC you need to wait for that to run its course and not dispute with the CRAs.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you file a dispute with one CRA, no, the CRA is not charged with the responsibility of notifying the other CRAs

However, that does not mean you must file the same dispute with each CRA.  If the furnisher's investigation results in correction or deletion, they have the burden of reporting the same result to all CRAs.

If they fail to report the result to all CRAs, call and remind them of their obligation.  If informal attempts fail, you can then file a direct dispute with them, with the inaccurcay being failure to have complied with section 623(b)(D).

"FCRA 623(b)  Duties of Furnishers of Information upon Notice of Dispute

(1) In general.  After receiving notice pursuant to section 611(a) of a dispute with regard to the completeness or accuracy of any information provided by a person to a consumer reporting agency, the person shall

(A) conduct an investigation with respect to the disputed information;

(B) review al relevant information provided by the consumer reporting agency pursuant to section 611(a)(2):

(C) report the results of the investigation to the consumer reporting agency;

(D) if the investigation finds that the information is incomplete or inaccurate, report those results to all other consumer reporting agencies to which the person furnished the information and that complile files on consumers on a nationwide basis;..."

Message 3 of 5
lessonslearned
New Contributor

The OC told me to dispute with the CRAs and (in not so many words) said they didn't think they'd be able to verfiy the late and it would be removed. That's why I disputed with the CRA after talking to the OC. I hope that's accurate and they weren't giving me the run around.

Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

You have to wait and let the dispute process work its course. Let us know what response you receive back from the credit reporting aganecy.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.