jcmaroon

Dispute success chances?

I have a $310 medical collection from 2008-09 that I'm trying to get removed. No success going through the collection agency itself, but I'm now going to the agencies and reporting that I have no knowledge/memory of the collection (which is true) and would like it removed.

Just curious if anybody has had much success going this route? I was able to get a collection removed from my wife's report, but in that case it only appeared on one of the three agency reports, so that worked in my favor.

Thanks!

guiness56

Re: Dispute success chances?

It depends.  The CRAs use an automated systems for disputes.  If the furnisher responds it is valid, it will be verified.  If they don't respond at all it will be deleted.

And even if it isn't your debt, that you know of, if the furnisher of the information says it is, it is verified.  Then it would be up to you to prove otherwise.

jcmaroon

Interesting - and thanks. I wonder how frequently they do respond. Obviously they must not have when I disputed my wife's item.

jcmaroon

I am literally stunned beyond words. Since I posted this a few days ago - three days ago, I think - I disputed my collection with all three credit agencies, and all three removed it within a day.

I am even more stunned at how high my score jumped because of it, from  the 715-720 range to the 740-750 range. 20-30 points. Just like that.

Next, I'm going to try to dispute the $182 released tax lien from 2008 I have on there.

guiness56

jcmaroon

Indeed. I believe it is in error. I actually disputed it a few years ago and thought I had gotten it removed, but I did it wrong - it was merely listed as still open and then listed as closed, when I did not believe I ever had that lien against me in the first place. (I wish I still had the letter from the county clerk saying that.)

guiness56

jcmaroon

Good question. I could go to the county clerk and see if they still have that letter - or even have them draft a new one saying that the lien was in error. (If I remember correctly, I got the, "If you don't pay this amount, we will place a tax lien on you." So I paid it, but I assume there was a clerical error where it was placed anyway.)

jcmaroon

But regardless, I'm just shocked at how many points just the five-year-old collection was costing me. I figured 5-10 range.

My debt utilization is about to drop from 46 percent to about 17 percent, as well, so hopefully that will be another boost.

guiness56

[ Edited ]

Dropping your utilization will bring points.  Not sure how many though.

Is the invalid lien the last baddie on your report?

If you can get the letter saying it was placed in error, send that to the CRA versus disputing.  The outcome may be better.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}