Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute time

tag
ricefed
Contributor

Dispute time

When you dispute an item with the CRA how long do they have to investigate? Started a dispute with equifax on oct 3 and it still hasn't completed.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dispute time

Typically 30 days, can take up to 45 with additional information.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Unless it something like your address/phone number don't expect it any sooner than the 30th day.

Every single dispute I ever had no matter what was being disputed - either a false tradeline or inaccurate info within an otherwise accurate tradeline has taken a full month.

Give it time, patients is key in the credit rebuilding game.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 3 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  While waiting, find something to focus on, always have a backup plan ready to go.  It helps having something to work forward to and makes the waiting not seem so bad.

July 2013 score:

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unless your dispute relates to an overtly clear inaccuracy that the CRA can resolve on their own, the mechanics of the CRA dispute process pretty much prevents quick resolution.

Unlike the direct dispute process, disputes via a CRA are generally two-pronged.  The ultimate decision on the dispute resides with the CRA, under their "reinvestigation" authority.  

The FCRA mandates that the CRA forward a copy of any dispute to the party who reported the disputed information, along with all relevant information provided by the consumer (which the CRA, through its omnipoent powers, determines what is and is not "relevant," and usually reduces relevancy to only a two-digit code using its e-Oscar automated process).

The first prong of the process requires the furnisher to investigate the accuracy of the disputed information, and forward their determination back to the CRA before the expiration of the (normally) 30-day CRA dispute period.  That forms part of the information upon which the CRA conducts its "reinvestigation" and makes its final decision.

With the furnisher having up to the end of the CRA 30-day period to respond, that pretty much mandates that a dispute will take 30'ish days.

With the CRA usually having no other objective information upon which to conduct its final reinvestigation, they usually rely almost exclusively on the determination provided by the furnisher as their final reinvestigation determination.  Notable exceptions include when the dispute relates to public record information, where the CRA can check public records themselves, and use that as basis for their determination, and disputes related to credit inquiries, where they already have the statement of permissible purpose provided by the inquiree in their files.

After conclusion of the 30 or 45 day reinvestigation period, the CRAs have an additional five business days to put their Notice of Results of Reinvestigation in the mail.

Normal 30 day reinvestigation period plus 5 days to put decision in the mail plus mailing time puts a reasonable period for receipt of the results at around a month and a half.

Message 5 of 9
ricefed
Contributor

Thanks for the responses. The only reason I ask is because any other time I've done a dispute the longest it took was 2 weeks and they were all confirmed . I'm just wondering if maybe it's taking longer because the CA haven't validated anything and the CRA is just waiting. I guess I can hope lol.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 6 of 9
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

I have a collection I disupted Dec 2011 - I have tried numerous times to reach the collection company to validate and my  certified letter gets returned to me after a while.  I did dispute online with Equifax after getting no where with colleciton agency.

Equifax Report has it listed as "consumer disputes" .   I went to "check my dispute status" and its showing as the dispute is "pending" .  This has been this way since Dec 2011.

I do recall asking Equifax about this and they said they see what I'm referring to but that it was verified.  I asked them how do they know this and they said becuase the "balance date" was **bleep**

Today, its  still the same - no change.  "Consumer disputes this account information"  and its still showing "pending" in the "check status dispute" site. 

Is it worth me sending a letter to Equifax regarding this?  Or just leave it so it doesnt update again?

Message 7 of 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@payingoffdebt001 wrote:

I have a collection I disupted Dec 2011 - I have tried numerous times to reach the collection company to validate and my  certified letter gets returned to me after a while.  I did dispute online with Equifax after getting no where with colleciton agency.

Equifax Report has it listed as "consumer disputes" .   I went to "check my dispute status" and its showing as the dispute is "pending" .  This has been this way since Dec 2011.

I do recall asking Equifax about this and they said they see what I'm referring to but that it was verified.  I asked them how do they know this and they said becuase the "balance date" was **bleep**

Today, its  still the same - no change.  "Consumer disputes this account information"  and its still showing "pending" in the "check status dispute" site. 

Is it worth me sending a letter to Equifax regarding this?  Or just leave it so it doesnt update again?

I have a simliar situation also...I disputed a charge off back in July of this year from a 2006 credit card and it still shows "consumer disputes account" on equifax and on experian it says "consumer disputed account", the charge off is due to fall off early next year, im afraid it will not fall off cuz of the dispute status.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It will fall off whether or not the dispute status is stated on there.  It is no longer in dispute, the CRAs just aren't good at cleaning those up.

July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.