Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute without full account # help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute without full account # help!!

Quick question, I want to send a dispute (623) to OC but I don't have the complete account #, it's listed on my credit file with the last four digits as xxxx. Will I need the complete account #? I called the OC and they said they will not provide that information?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute without full account # help!!

If you have a legitimate reason for disputing...

Pretty sure they have to provide you with the full account number. I paid my past baddies in full, and when 'arranging' payment they gave me the full account numbers to make sure payment was applied correctly.

You might try that route if they keep refusing.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute without full account # help!!

The direct dispute implementing rules recommend  that the consumer attach a copy of the relevant portion of a recent credit report that shows how the account is listed as a means of identification of the disputed information, and showing that the disputed information has actually been reported.

That should be more than adequate to enablet them to idenfify your account.  If they find it lacking, they are required, if file a direct dispute, to respond within the dispute period, and inform you of what is needed should they be unable to investigate your dispute.

Go ahead and file the direct dispute, which will trigger their requiremnt to either investigate or notify you of what is considered lacking.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.