Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute

tag
dalasdon
Regular Contributor

Dispute

Is disputing through experian the same as DV?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dispute

No. DV refers to a letter as prescribed by the FDCPA.

Message 2 of 12
dalasdon
Regular Contributor

okay, thanks, i disputed through experian on enhanced recovery out of jacksonville, they updated all last night, so now doing dv

Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

In terms of repair, you really don't want to dispute items. Bad things can happen including TL updates, score changes in some situations, increased collection activity, and it generally makes it harder to remove if verified, not to mention EX won't let you dispute again online. Even if you are 100% certain the baddie isn't yours, a dispute is one of the last steps to take. If a CA, always send a DV first. Based on the results, then decide if it is legit or not and go from there. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD.

Message 4 of 12
dalasdon
Regular Contributor

ouch, i guess i screwed up, hopefully not too bad.  i did that since i had done it before and was having success with them just deleting the accounts

Message 5 of 12
getahead
Regular Contributor

Hi LLecs,

what do you mean by "increased collection activity'? I'm curious because I recently disputed a CA which with EX & had no success.  I also had a paid tax lien on my EQ deleted which I thought my score would increase but it decreased which I was totally suprised.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 6 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@getahead wrote:

Hi LLecs,

what do you mean by "increased collection activity'? I'm curious because I recently disputed a CA which with EX & had no success.  I also had a paid tax lien on my EQ deleted which I thought my score would increase but it decreased which I was totally suprised.

When you dispute any unpaid TL like a CO or CA, you are essentially waking them up by saying, "here I am!". When you dispute directly with the CRA, the CRA will give that OC or CA a copy of your latest contact info, including addresses and phone numers that had been updated to your CR by any of your other creditors. There was a point in time that I took that method of repair and boy did the calls and letters come in. Thankfully I had the $$$ saved for each and sent out DV letters to the CAs and PFDs if they verified.

Was the EQ a FICO score from myFICO? Deleting a paid or unpaid lien won't likely result in a score drop. You are apt to see a gain, and most certainly if recent. Often you won't see any gain if you had other PRs reporting. In rare circumstances, you can get rebucketed, but you have to be 100% PR-free, and have a relatively clean report post-removal. If using SW, there could have been something else happening on your report like changes in util, or if other items were disputed, those can cause a score drop too.

Message 7 of 12
getahead
Regular Contributor

yes, my score is from myfico, I was alerted by SW.  I did dispute a 30 day late on a cc but had no luck & the other dispute was a paid tax lien which EQ did delete.  I currently have no PR on my report just the 30 day late which happend 1.9 yrs ago, do you think I was rebucketed?  My score has not gone up since & my open TL did report my lower balances.

Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690

Message 8 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Certain aspects within OC accounts only, like the balance & CL and payment history, are removed from FICo scoring during a dispute. If the dispute comment is still there, even after months post-dispute, it can still drain your score in terms of removal from util. Also, disputing baddies will result in their updating to your CR and that will often lead to a score drop. Are these the only two things you disputed? Is the comment still on the CC TL? Do you have any other PRs reporting? Any CAs?

Message 9 of 12
getahead
Regular Contributor

The cc on my current EQ does not state dispute anymore & I do not have any CA on my report.  I'm not really understanding because when my score was 658 it had the 30 day late & the paid tax lien, now the tax lien is gone my score is at 603 with only the 30 day late.  I'm planning on buying a home in the Summer & this really set me back, I thought with the tax lien gone it would raise my score.  What I dont understand is when I had the 658 I had the tax lien, 30 day late & my utl was high, now with the tax lien gone & paying down my balances my score is 603, it doesn't seem righ.  Maybe I dont understand the whole scroing on fico., thank you in advance.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.