cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed 2 of 4 baddies (Success!) Questions on attacking the last 2.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed 2 of 4 baddies (Success!) Questions on attacking the last 2.

I woke up this morning to an email regarding the dispute I had filed with experian's online process and was pleasantly surprised!  GC Services and NCO Financial were not able to validate my debt or chose not to I suppose.  (GC Services was paid NCO was not).

I want to try and dispute the other two bad remarks but want I have just a few questions. 

Item one is with the Veteran Affairs- Paid/Closed Jan 2009

-Long story short I was in the military collecting GI Bill benefits and my last semester I failed and moved away. I didn't realized that I had to pay the money back for the failed classes untill it was too late.  This account is paid and closed.  Would disputing it hurt me at all?  I don't want to piss off the government would a GW letter be a better idea?

Item two is Navy Federal Credit union Closed May 2012 $636 past due

for a cc ~$600 which I can pay.   I called them yesterday and it looks like they sold the debt in may and I could not pay them.  If I file the dispute could that hurt me?  Do I have to wait until the collection agency reports they own the debt?  I do not see this agency on my credit report I do have there number.  When I called they of course told me that if I paid they would not delete the item but would report it as paid in full. 

My final question is since I filed the dispute with experian does that mean it still may show up on the other major bureaus? 

Thanks for taking a look I appreciate the help in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputed 2 of 4 baddies (Success!) Questions on attacking the last 2.

What would you base the disputes on?

Are you claiming these accounts is not reporting accurately?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If there is no actual reason to dispute, I'd try a GW.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I don't have a reason to dispute.   I was just hoping they would not take the time to prove me wrong if the account was paid.

I guess I'll just try GW letters.  Do I have to make sure the other reporting agencies see that these items were deleted?

Message 4 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I don't have a reason to dispute.   I was just hoping they would not take the time to prove me wrong if the account was paid.

I guess I'll just try GW letters.  Do I have to make sure the other reporting agencies see that these items were deleted?

Per the TOS of this website, we are unable to discuss credit repair tactics that aren't kosher ethically.. I believe it has to do with the fact MyFico sell credit reports and credit scores..

So you will never find anyone on here advocating any sort of frivolous or invalid disputes..

-scott

Message 5 of 7
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Everyone has the ability to dispute any debt that they may or may not recognize the name or account referenced.

There is usually a general 'i don't recognize this debt' for disputing.

Even if the debt is valid and it is yours, if you do not recognize/remember it then you have the right to dispute it on that basis asking for the CRA to validate it.

EDIT: This is factual information and not advocating openign a dispute just to hope to pull a fast one. If the the debt has been paid that you have already pretty much claimed that you owed the debt. If you do not totally remember or recognize the account info/furnisher of the data then it is not unethical to open a dispute asking them to validate that the debt is indeed valid. 

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 6 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

Everyone has the ability to dispute any debt that they may or may not recognize the name or account referenced.

There is usually a general 'i don't recognize this debt' for disputing.

Even if the debt is valid and it is yours, if you do not recognize/remember it then you have the right to dispute it on that basis asking for the CRA to validate it.

EDIT: This is factual information and not advocating openign a dispute just to hope to pull a fast one. If the the debt has been paid that you have already pretty much claimed that you owed the debt. If you do not totally remember or recognize the account info/furnisher of the data then it is not unethical to open a dispute asking them to validate that the debt is indeed valid. 

Yeah.. no qualms there..

I am merely stating, if you ask people on this forum about knowlingly disputing information they know is valid in hopes of removal, the MODs can and will stop the thread.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.