cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed Collection and came back as verified????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed Collection and came back as verified????

Hello!  I have been quietly reading for a few months now as I am trying to repair my credit FINALLY after years of dealing with the aftermath of a job loss/charge-offs/etc.  I have found this to be such a helpful place and its given me hope that I, too, can recover from some serious damage done to my credit score from 5-6 years ago!  I am hoping someone can help me figure out to go from here...

After reading so much about disputing items on my CR, I finally did it!  I have a collection account from a medical bill.  The services were performed in 2005.  It is showing that it will drop off of my CR report in 2016 since the CR is stating that the DOFD is 2009!!!  I have disputed this item several times and EQ keeps coming back telling me it is verified as accurate and remains unchanged.  I have not communicated with the Collection Agency due to the fact that it is outside of the SOL in my state.  What I am trying to understand is how it can be verified when I know for a FACT these fees were incurred in 11/2005 because I had lost my job the same day and my wife had taken my kids to the pediatrician that morning.  The employer had cancelled my insurance prior to me knowing about the job loss and the COBRA rates were insane.  So my next step should be what??  Do I continue disputing and hope the CA gets tired of uptdating?  They are reporting every month thus far.  OR do I try to talk to the doctors' office?  (They are not on my report at all)  OR do I try for a PFD or NDA with the CA?  If so, how do I go about that?  I know that I have seen some references about violating the FCRA(?) and that I could sue them but honestly I just want it to come off my report.  The amount of the bill is $559.  If I have to pay it to get it off of there, I could, though it would be straining as I am trying to clean up other things as well.....Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputed Collection and came back as verified????

google hippa..  cant talk about it on here but i think this would be for you.  someone else can chime in and help.  and if it is from 2005, sounds like maybe the ca is redating the debt which is illegal.  so i would dv them.  someone else will chime in on this issue but im thinking this is where to start.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great-thanks!  I'm going to google now and hopefully others will chime in as well!  TY!!:

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

hippa is a process but it is very effective.  You will def get some other insight from other viewers.  this site is amazing, i was in the same situation you are in.  and i am finally getting out of the credit woes.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop disputing!

Disputing through the CRAs should be an act of last resort. As you've experienced, those disputes almost always get the automatic "verified'. Not to mention, you can make matters much more complicated for yourself.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello!  I have been quietly reading for a few months now as I am trying to repair my credit FINALLY after years of dealing with the aftermath of a job loss/charge-offs/etc.  I have found this to be such a helpful place and its given me hope that I, too, can recover from some serious damage done to my credit score from 5-6 years ago!  I am hoping someone can help me figure out to go from here...
After reading so much about disputing items on my CR, I finally did it!  I have a collection account from a medical bill.  The services were performed in 2005.  It is showing that it will drop off of my CR report in 2014 since the CR is stating that the DOFD is 2009!!!  I have disputed this item several times and EQ keeps coming back telling me it is verified as accurate and remains unchanged.  I have not communicated with the Collection Agency due to the fact that it is outside of the SOL in my state.  What I am trying to understand is how it can be verified when I know for a FACT these fees were incurred in 11/2005 because I had lost my job the same day and my wife had taken my kids to the pediatrician that morning.  The employer had cancelled my insurance prior to me knowing about the job loss and the COBRA rates were insane.

So my next step should be what??  Do I continue disputing and hope the CA gets tired of uptdating?  They are reporting every month thus far.  OR do I try to talk to the doctors' office?  (They are not on my report at all)  OR do I try for a PFD or NDA with the CA?  If so, how do I go about that?  I know that I have seen some references about violating the FCRA(?) and that I could sue them but honestly I just want it to come off my report.  The amount of the bill is $559.  If I have to pay it to get it off of there, I could, though it would be straining as I am trying to clean up other things as well.....Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

If the DoFD/date of service was sometime in 2005, the compliance date would be sometime in 2012 or 2013. However, I wouldn't worry about that just now. The collection is, as you've stated, legitimate (even if there's something hinky with the reporting). Your only basis for dispute, assuming you're correct, would have the CA updating, and your having a fresh collection with a slightly earlier (but far from now) drop date. Instead, as someone already suggested, you need to Google the HIPAA process, and have the funds available to PIF.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I am going to try this route  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.