cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed Debt Verified By CA But Denied By OC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed Debt Verified By CA But Denied By OC?

I have a $56 debt in collections on my report. It's from Time Warner Cable and with CMI. It's always confused me a bit because it's ostensibly for a modem that was never returned but I still have an account in good standing with Time Warner. Anyway, I read about the method of checking with the original creditor to get them to recall the debt so I can pay it off and have it removed from my report and decided to try it. When I spoke to Time Warner, they told me they had no record of me owing them any money and no record of anything being sent to collections. Obviously I filed a dispute with the three credit bureaus.

I just heard back from Equifax today and apparently CMI verified that I owe this debt. How can they when the original creditor itself says I don't?! And what are my next steps? I assume that if they verified it to Equifax they'll verify it to the others so... I'm kind of stuck. I'd gladly do a PFD whether I owe the money or not since it's such a small amount, but I've heard CMI is hard to deal with in that regard.

Any advice would be most welcome. I'm really disappointed Smiley Sad This is the most recent and biggest ding on my report and I was excited that it seemed it would be off soon.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputed Debt Verified By CA But Denied By OC?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a $56 debt in collections on my report. It's from Time Warner Cable and with CMI. It's always confused me a bit because it's ostensibly for a modem that was never returned but I still have an account in good standing with Time Warner. Anyway, I read about the method of checking with the original creditor to get them to recall the debt so I can pay it off and have it removed from my report and decided to try it. When I spoke to Time Warner, they told me they had no record of me owing them any money and no record of anything being sent to collections. Obviously I filed a dispute with the three credit bureaus.

I just heard back from Equifax today and apparently CMI verified that I owe this debt. How can they when the original creditor itself says I don't?! And what are my next steps? I assume that if they verified it to Equifax they'll verify it to the others so... I'm kind of stuck. I'd gladly do a PFD whether I owe the money or not since it's such a small amount, but I've heard CMI is hard to deal with in that regard.

Any advice would be most welcome. I'm really disappointed Smiley Sad This is the most recent and biggest ding on my report and I was excited that it seemed it would be off soon.

Yuck. Equifax is the worst. Try to get a letter from Time Warner stating you do not owe them any money, and have never been delinquent. Then send that letter to the 3 bureaus and to the collection agency. I would also send the collection agency a debt validation letter and state you want an itemized bill from them for what they say you owe. There are examples in this subforum of what to write on a DV letter.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.