Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed a PIF Med Collection with Equifax

tag
v2009
Valued Member

Disputed a PIF Med Collection with Equifax

Yikes!! I have disputed a PIF med collection account yesterday with Equifax through their online dispute process.  Today I recieved an email from Equifax stating that 'in order to process your request, you will need to send us a copy of the following documents:

1.  valid driver's license

2. Social Security card or W-2 form

3. Utility bill

I can fax or mail with the required proof documents indicated above within 24 hours".

Is this a standard practice with Equifax?  I'm assuming they are trying to verify who I am? Should I fax this information to them?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputed a PIF Med Collection with Equifax

It is standard practice. I would fax it for faster service.

I would try the HIPAA Process.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I don't mean to butt in, Byrdman, but I have to ask something.

v2009, before you do anything, is your med collection already marked as "in dispute" or "consumer disputes this collection"?

Message 3 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

By all means, please do Fused. I am still trying to untangle this HIPAA stuff and you are the expert. I turn over the reigns to you. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
v2009
Valued Member

Fused,

When I log into Equifax, and view the status of my online disput - the status states "pending" - where would I find this other information? (med collection already marked as "in dispute" or "consumer disputes this collection"?)

Message 5 of 12
v2009
Valued Member

Ok - I know this will be a work in progress - but, I did send Equifax the documents they were requesting yesterday because of the "disputed" medical collection that was paid.  Today I see that my Equifax score has dropped from a 544 to a 532 and the medical collection was marked from unpaid to paid.

What is my  next step?  If I follow the HIPAA process I send the Hippa letter (with insert b) to the Equifax & Experien (since they both are reporting the same thing) right?  Do I send anything at all to the OC or the CA (of which I have a reciept for the paid medical amount)?

My scores are dropping - only Transunion has gone up and they have deleted these 2 paid medical accounts - 591 to 599. UGHHHHH! Pointers??

Message 6 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

When did EQ originally receive your pre-HIPAA dispute letter? Has the CA sent sent you validation?
Message 7 of 12
v2009
Valued Member

Fused,

I disputed online with Equifax & Experien & TransUnion last week (2/18) is this what you are asking?

I paid the collections last week to the CA's  - this was before I learned about the Hippa process, now I'm trying to get them deleted from my CRs, TransUnion did delete, Ex & Eqx did not.  Experien communicated via online, that these accounts were disputed and verified in September 2008 so any additional information I have I would need to send in to Experien.  What should I send them other than the "reciept" for payment from the OC?

Message Edited by v2009 on 02-26-2009 12:02 PM
Message 8 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This is not going to be easy. I'm afraid you'll have to start all over and follow the HIPAA letter process to a "T".
Message 9 of 12
v2009
Valued Member

Ughh, I always seem to do things *** backwards....I  already have a jump start on it.  Because I didn't do the HIPPA letters first and paid these medical collections with the CA am I SOL on getting them deleted from my CRA?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.