Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes after bankruptcy

tag
morganfofo
Valued Member

Disputes after bankruptcy

1. If I have a charged off account dated 2007 and a collection agency picked it up in 2010 for example, can I dispute the collection account so it reflects the 2007/original account date?

2.Any advice on how I can word my dispute letter? Google has failed me. 

Also, my accounts are otherwise reporting correctly as IIB and $0 balance. I'm not sure what else I can do to clean up my report. 

I Do have a student loan that I am rehabbing that is currently showing "in collections", but there are multiple entries for the same account. I'm going to dispute as duplicate account. 

3. Should I send one letter to the CRA With both disputes in it or should I dispute each one separately? Thank you! 

EQ: 603 as of 6/1/15
TU: 608 as of 6/1/15
EX: 612 as of 6/1/15

Gardening til January 2016!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputes after bankruptcy

#1 In a word - No.

The 'opened date' reported by the CA is a completely meaningless date as far as accuracy of the report is concerned, the DoFD stays the same and it should drop off soon. TU and Equifax full reports should show drop off date (TU) or DoFD (EQ) for negative items.

#2 See above.

#3 Several people have noted this. Student loans are an odd beast, and tend to look like this on reports. Has to do with how they are financed. Normally once they are rehabbed all the negs are cleared. Not sure if disputing as dupes will go anywhere.

Message 2 of 7
morganfofo
Valued Member

Thanks for replying!! So you're saying in #1 both the original account and the collection most likely have the same dofd and therefore both should drop off at the same time?

Good to know about the student loan. Not gonna waste my time disputing it then.
EQ: 603 as of 6/1/15
TU: 608 as of 6/1/15
EX: 612 as of 6/1/15

Gardening til January 2016!
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The date of exclusion of both the charge-off and the collection will be the same.... no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the same DOFD.

Note that the OC account itself will not become excluded, only derogs reported under the account.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU and Equifax both state the DoFD on negative accounts. TU shows a 'drop off date' and EQ shows a DoFD. Check for these dates. If they are not shown contact the CRA's for clarification.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know they have the right to keep a collection on your report 180 days after the 7 year mark ... But who makes that decision ? The CRA or the Collection agency ? For example I have a collection thats due to fall off October 2015 which would be the 7 year mark . Who has the powe to add another 180 days on that ? 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read that the reason for the 'extra' 180 days is because the creditor can carry a delinquent account on their books for 180 days before they are required to charge it off under accounting rules. They can charge it off before then if they choose, but they can't go past the 180 day mark.

So while we consider it to be 7 years +180 days from DoFD, it amounts to 7 years from charge off.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.