Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes on credit report

I'm currently trying to rebuild my credit. When I pulled up my FICO score 6 days ago it was 596, then 2 days later I recieved an Alert that it dropped to 584?? I called FICO and they stated that anytime that I dispute something on my report that it drops. I wanted to know how long would it take before my score would go back up. I've gotten emails stating that this dispute has been resolved?? Any info would help! Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputes on credit report

I am surprised you would be told that as it is untrue.

There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in dispute, but that does not mean your score will drop.

Also keep in mind that collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputes on credit report

The only scenario I can see of a score drop due to a dispute is if you disputed a CC account. FICO will ignore the balance, CL and payment history during the dispute. If this was a CC and the CC helped your CC util, then it's possible to see a loss. But other components of OC accounts like age, length of history, AAoA, scoring bucket, mix of credit, etc., are not impacted in a dispute, along with CAs and PRs as mentioned.

And OP, make sure the score is a FICO score. Some FAKOs ignore all accounts during a dispute. And if this was from FICO and it came from a ScoreWatch score alert, then know that X doesn't always cause Y. In other words, if you got an alert for X points lost due to a dispute, other things could have been going on within your CR that resulted in a net loss of these points which isn't always shown in the alert.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.