Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes

tag
jamie2005
Valued Member

Disputes

when doing disputes (equifax), is it better to do it online, by mail, or maybe even both? any experiences?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
S7
Established Contributor

Re: Disputes

I disputed 3 different things at the same time with EQ, 2 were removed within 10 business days, and the other in the 3rd week of the 30day period.

Disputed one item with EX, STILL waiting results, due on 10/12. Smiley Happy

"When you are down in the mouth, remember, everything turned out ok for Jonah."

Current FICO's(by lender) 10/9/12
EX:649, EX:651, TU:683
Message 2 of 16
jamie2005
Valued Member

online or by mail?
Message 3 of 16
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

I've read a lot on here about disputing by mail. That was originally going to be my approach. However, I disputed online and have had really good success with getting stuff removed. I think I had about 11 items removed so far.

I didn't dispute everything at once however, I have been tackling stuff very carefully. Started with really old stuff first. Then I moved on to amounts that I felt would not be confirmed ($16 and $25 collections). I am now with about 4 items on one report and 6 on the other. These are all collections set to age off in 2 years. So not sure if I'm even going to dispute them or just let them age off gracefully since I don't plan on applying for credit soon.

My method has worked for me, but not sure if it's the same for everyone. I'm sure if you just dispute everything on your report it will raise some eyebrows and you'll look like some dude trying to game his credit. I personally would just be cautious at how you approach it and try to do it online, but as I said, choose carefully and only dispute a few items at a time.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done all my disputes online and have been very successful !

Message 5 of 16
S7
Established Contributor

online. sorry forgot that part!

"When you are down in the mouth, remember, everything turned out ok for Jonah."

Current FICO's(by lender) 10/9/12
EX:649, EX:651, TU:683
Message 6 of 16
novabama
Frequent Contributor

I don't think there's anything wrong with online. If that doesn't work, you can always request MOV. I have done online, some verified (namely midland, shocker) and most deleted. Good luck! Your mileage always varys with this, but it's a code relayed to the OC no matter how you dispute it. All electronic.

Message 7 of 16
jamie2005
Valued Member

ok! Thanks guys for the quick responses!
Message 8 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unlless your dispute relates to an item that is not disputable under the direct dispute process, such as credit inquiries, I would suggest considering a direct dispute as opposed to any dispute involving the CRA.

Online disputes require you to sanitize you own dispute, not providing for any accompanying supporting documentation.

If you have documentation relevant to your dispute, better to send by mail, at least providing it to the CRA (or better yet, filing a direct dispute, assuring it is received by the furnisher of the disputed information).  As part of their e-Oscar process, they arent likely to forward any supporting documentation to the furnisher, but that is not, in my opinion, reason to not even provide it.

My advice:

1. Direct dispute, if appliable

2. Mail to CRA with all supporting documentation

3.Use their on-line process

Message 9 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

Unlless your dispute relates to an item that is not disputable under the direct dispute process, such as credit inquiries, I would suggest considering a direct dispute as opposed to any dispute involving the CRA.

Online disputes require you to sanitize you own dispute, not providing for any accompanying supporting documentation.

If you have documentation relevant to your dispute, better to send by mail, at least providing it to the CRA (or better yet, filing a direct dispute, assuring it is received by the furnisher of the disputed information).  As part of their e-Oscar process, they arent likely to forward any supporting documentation to the furnisher, but that is not, in my opinion, reason to not even provide it.

My advice:

1. Direct dispute, if appliable

2. Mail to CRA with all supporting documentation

3.Use their on-line process

+1  Too many people are quick to just jump into disputes.  Disputes with the CRAs can cause potential problems down the road.  There are other methods to contend with the TLs before doing diputes.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.