Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Re: Disputes

Can you tell me about your potential problems? I am just curious what some people have run into.

The reason I did it online was because all of my collections are set to drop off in early 2014. I sort of didn't see a real backside to the dispute. If it's removed, great, I get a few points bumped up. If it doesn't get removed, it still drops off in 2014 and is past the SOL.

What kind of problems have you seen?

Message 11 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Split files, frivolous disputes, loss of positive TLs.  I've seen some lose their CRs.   They get corrupted in the system or get locked for some reason and they don't even have a score anymore.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 16
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Split files, frivolous disputes, loss of positive TLs.  I've seen some lose their CRs.   They get corrupted in the system or get locked for some reason and they don't even have a score anymore.

+1 ...  A friend of mine that started her credit repairs at the same time I did decided she was going to start her repair by disputing every negative item on her reports via online through the cra's.  Her Transunion file got split, her EQ or EX file was locked for fraud, and her EX or EQ dropped some of her positive tradelines, but kept the negative.  Her reports are still a mess and she is still trying to get it all sorted out - been nearly a year.

Message 13 of 16
timotiger
New Contributor

The only problem I have with online is the inability to send supporting backup. It would be ideal if they had a pdf upload from a scanned document. I think it would solve a lot of miscommunications and resubmits.

Message 14 of 16
wpxo
Established Member

@AZHeather wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

+1 ...  A friend of mine that started her credit repairs at the same time I did decided she was going to start her repair by disputing every negative item on her reports via online through the cra's.  Her Transunion file got split, her EQ or EX file was locked for fraud, and her EX or EQ dropped some of her positive tradelines, but kept the negative.  Her reports are still a mess and she is still trying to get it all sorted out - been nearly a year.

AZHeather, what does it mean when a CR is "split"? New to this forum and lingo, sorry. Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: 10/2013: EX: 575, EQ: 568, TU: 607
Current Scores:
Goals: 800 across the board

Citi AA World Elite
$23,000

Message 15 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Aside from possible admin issues, disputes that lack real basis of an asserted inaccuracy take time to process, and can create ill-will with the furnisher (creditor/debt collector) if clearly unsupported.

When you dispute, either via a CRA or directly with the furnisher, they receive a copy of the dispute and are required to conduct a reasonable investigation or dismiss the dispute if it does not meet the requirments.

If disputed via a CRA, they are required to respond back to the CRA within the CRA's reinvestigation period, and if dispute directly, they are required to respond back to the consumer within the same period.  Deadlines.

That's time and effor, which equates to $.  If the dispute does not contain sufficient identification of a real inaccuracy, they may dismiss the dispute as "frivolous or irrelevant," which often becomes its own poiint of contention with the consumer, who usually assumes they must investigate or delete.

CFPB and BBB complaints for failure to investigate and/or delete.

Result may be a lot of frivolous or irrelevant hassle that could effect their feeling of any good-will down the road should you later request PFD or GW deletions.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.