Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing A Negative Item

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing A Negative Item

I am curious, if I dispute a negative item on my credit report does it temporarily remove it from the negatives I have.

Example - I have a 30 day late payment.. If i dispute it with the CRAs will it make that account positive until the dispute is resolved?

Reason I ask is because I have had 3 negative accounts seem positive after disputing, but there is a comment that says "Consumer Disputes - Reinvestigation in Process"

Hope that made sense.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Disputing A Negative Item

I don't believe so, but its the CRAs so anything is possible and it wouldn't surprise me if you get 10 different answers. I am currently disputing 5 items and they are all still showing as negatives while the disputes are pending.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are not going to 'show as positives' when reviewing your reports, BUT the FICO scoring model is supposed to ignore items that are flagged for dispute.

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Certain aspects of the TL will not be subject to Fico scoring when an account is marked as being in dispute. This is why mortgage lenders insist all dispute comments be removed so they can obtain a true Fico on you.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The key point is what Norman stated.

Even though certain info is nnot included in scoring while the dispute is being resolved, the derogs are still shown in your credit report.

Any creditor knowledgable of the process will see that the account is clearly not "positive."

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.