Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Debt

tag
DanielK
Valued Member

Disputing Debt

I have an outstanding debt on my CR that I did not know was there. It showed I owed 300 for an old medical bill. I sent a Debt Verification letter to the collection agency and received a response stating,

"This letter is to notify you that a request has been forwarded to the above named client for all pertinent information regarding this account. This information will be forwarded to you upon receipt."

That was March 12, 2014 and I have not gotten anything back. What happens if they don't send anything? Is there a time frame for them to validate the debt? 

Help! 

28 year old recent college grad
Equifax started at: 557
Current Equifax: 636
Current Experian: 651
Current Transunion: 656
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Disputing Debt

There is no timeframe under which they are required to respond.  If your DV was timely, they must stop all collection activities.  So, in that sense they are compelled to either validate (if they can) or delete and move on.  But to be clear, they are not mandated to do anything other than stop the collection activities.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 4
DanielK
Valued Member

What happens if they just don't answer? It just sits there? Nothing I can do? 

28 year old recent college grad
Equifax started at: 557
Current Equifax: 636
Current Experian: 651
Current Transunion: 656
Message 3 of 4
polno1234
Contributor

is it your debt? is it within the 7.5 year mark where it can be reported? is it within the sol for your state? if the first 2 are yes and the 3rd is no send them a pfd letter. if it is still within the sol proceed with caution. they can stll sue you.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.