Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing OC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing OC

I have two charge-offs on my credit report. One was opened in 2005 and the other in 2006. Both are from First Premier Bank. The last time they reported was in 2009 (on both accounts). Would it be safe to dispute these? A CA has the accounts now. They are due to fall off in 2013.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputing OC

What is your basis for disputing?  How is their reporting of a charge-off inaccurate?

Legally, they need only two items to charge-off a debt.  The debt must be delinquent, and must have reached, in their opinion, the point of being considered as "uncollectible."

What is the basis for contesting either of those items?

The debt collector is not involved in any aspect of the accuracy of the charge-off, so I dont see any relevancy to the debt now being under collection.

The only peril I could imagine is if the OC still owns the debt, and if it is still within SOL, which does not appear to be the case.  It appears that the OC has already done the maximum credit reporting damage by the collection referral.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

These aren't my accounts. I disputed the accounts that are reported by LVNV and they came back updated. I sent them a DV letter. I sent it certified. They signed for it on Dec 30. Why are they both falling off in 2013 when one was opened in 2005 and the other in 2006. They both fall off in July 2013. I'm scared to dispute with the OC because I'm afraid they will update.

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The OC cannot "update" in any manner that affects the credit report exclusion date.  That date is fixed in stone as 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

All the OC can do is re-report their prior reporting, which changes nothing.  I would not be concerned with that.... unless they attempt to update their reported DOFD.

That is a serious violation of the FCRA.  If you have evidence of your DOFD, and they update it, you have basis for legal action.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I try to dispute them or not? This is the only forum where I trust someone's word. Or should I write a GW letter first?

Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If these accounts are definately not yours, I would send a DV letter first.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I dispute these the worse that can happen is that they update the status date. The last time the OC reported was in 2009. Would this hurt my credit score any if they respond?  I heard about the 623 method but I have to dispute with the OC first. I also read that I can't send a DV to the OC. I wrote one to the CA. I think I'm going to dispute these. I have nothing to lose. Right?Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I should have asked is if I did dispute these and they come back verified and the OC re-report. They last reported was in 2009. Would it hurt my credit score if they start reporting again. We want to buy a home within the next year.

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would not dispute again.  You did it once and they were verified.

I would start by getting a police report showing this is identity theft/fraud.  Then I would write the OC and send the police report showing these are not yours and ask them to delete the accounts,

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.