Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Public Records

tag
Naturell
Established Member

Disputing Public Records

Hi!

I am working on cleaning up my credit and I am not sure what to do about public records.  I have a public record from a rental property I use to live in.  Due to disputes with the remaining tenant the landlord went to court.  In the mids of their nasty battles back and forth my name was included in the court papers. (THE LANDLORD WAS WELL AWARE I DID NOT LIVE IN THE PROPERTY as he was notified before he accepted the lease without my signature) I submitted proof to the court as I'd relocated.  Eventually the landlord quit harassing me and their dispute ended.  Two years after I moved out of the property (I moved out May 2004) in June 2006 he placed a public record notice on my report. 

As soon as I saw it I disputed the claim with the credit agency.  It came back as updated and verified.  I am not sure if I should dispute it again. Contacting the landlord directly is not an option as the situation did not end in good terms. How many times may I dispute the same thing? Does this process affect my FICO? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing Public Records

I hate to break it to you, but I think you have no choice but to contact the landlord in this case. 

He/she was the one that went to the courts and filed all the paperwork with them.  You can go to the courts, but all they will give you is the paperwork that has been filed and they will tell you to contact the landlord. 

Sorry!!!

Message 2 of 4
Naturell
Established Member

I was afraid of that. ;-(. Thanks for your response Maria.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure I completely understand the situation but if you gave information to the court stating that you didn't live there before the judgment was entered then your name may not be on the judgment at all. IMO you should get the court documents before you contact the landlord. I have had public record entries on my credit report and a judgment was not even entered against me. My mom also has had this happen on her report. It would for sure not hurt to know where you stand first...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.