Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Student Loan Late Payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing Student Loan Late Payments

So starting last night I've been reviewing my credit report on all three bureaus and I don't seem to understand how I missed this. My current loan provider is reporting that I was three months late in 2013 however, I was in Forebearance at the time. Forebearance started on 9/13/2013 and ended 3/13/2014 they are reportng that I was late 11/13 to 01/14. I also noticed that the provider who had it before is reporting lates for 2013 also, even though they transferred my account since 2012 to my current provider. Do I contact all of them showing my proof that I was in forebearance at the time and also that the account was transferred in 2012? Or do I dispute via the credit bureaus?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputing Student Loan Late Payments

There are two dispute processes provided for under the FCRA.

You have the option of disputing directly with the furnisher of the disputed information (FCRA 623(a)(8)) or sending your dispute to teh CRA, who then handles the processing and makdes the final decision.

Both will require the furnisher to conduct an investigation, as if you choose to dispute via a CRA, they are required to forward a copy of your dispute to the furnisher, and the furnisher is required to conduct their own investigation and reply back to the CRA within the CRA reinvestigation period.

Thus, either type of dispute forces an investigation with either verificatin, correction,or deletion on the part of the furnisher.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

There are two dispute processes provided for under the FCRA.

You have the option of disputing directly with the furnisher of the disputed information (FCRA 623(a)(8)) or sending your dispute to teh CRA, who then handles the processing and makdes the final decision.

Both will require the furnisher to conduct an investigation, as if you choose to dispute via a CRA, they are required to forward a copy of your dispute to the furnisher, and the furnisher is required to conduct their own investigation and reply back to the CRA within the CRA reinvestigation period.

Thus, either type of dispute forces an investigation with either verificatin, correction,or deletion on the part of the furnisher.

Thank you! 

Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

If need be, it's good that you have proof. It could come in handy if they cause you problems.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.