Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a paid in full account that has late payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing a paid in full account that has late payments

Hello all!

First time posting here...although I have lurked  for a bit, learning SO much about my credit. So, thanks for all the great posts in the past! Anyway, my question is regarding an auto loan that was paid off in March of 2012. I recently pulled my credit and discovered the account shows 4 late payments...I can only recall being late once. Obviously, I want to address this but was wondering what the best way to go about it was. Should I call the lender and explain that account is paid in full, what a wonderful customer I was and hope to be again in the future, and maybe they will give me a little GW? Or do I just dispute it through the three CBs and hope that the lender won't respond because the account is already paid off, they have their money, and don't want to waste time? Maybe that would lead to a deletion? Please help! Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Disputing a paid in full account that has late payments

I would only dispute with the CRAs as a last resort.

Even though it is paid off they are still obligated to report correctly.  You can call them and hope they look into it or you can do a direct dispute with them under FCRA 623(a)(8).  They are required to investigate and make corrections.  And to notify you of the outcome within 30 days. 

I posted a template to use.  Keep every thing as is except for the stuff in parenthesis.  They are just fill in the blanks so to speak.

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was

actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing

that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.