cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing an Inquiry: I pulled it myself !

tag
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Disputing an Inquiry: I pulled it myself !

I work for a Property Management company. We have credit checking software. Before I had any clue about credit, I made the incredibly dumb decision to pull my credit on all three bureaus from our own software (Kroll Factual Data). I did this on April 29th, 2011. I just faxed over a dispute to all three bureau's, explaining what happened and showing proof of employment with the company

What are the chances this inquiry gets deleted? Anyone ever heard of this? And yes I'm aware at how incredibly stupid of a move this was lol.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Disputing an Inquiry: I pulled it myself !

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

I work for a Property Management company. We have credit checking software. Before I had any clue about credit, I made the incredibly dumb decision to pull my credit on all three bureaus from our own software (Kroll Factual Data). I did this on April 29th, 2011. I just faxed over a dispute to all three bureau's, explaining what happened and showing proof of employment with the company

What are the chances this inquiry gets deleted? Anyone ever heard of this? And yes I'm aware at how incredibly stupid of a move this was lol.

I have no idea if the CRAs will delete the inquiry or not, but it will only effect your FICO score for two more months, also it's probably a very small score ding.   I wouldn't worry about it.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

I know but I have a decent amount of inq's in the last 12 months (4 on TU, 2 on EX, 3 on EQ) so I was hoping to have it removed. Was planning on getting a Chase Freedom card relatively soon.

But you're right -- by the time the dispute is resolved it will be almost a full years anyways lol.

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Also keep an eye on EQ. They like to [add] fraud alerts after an inquiry dispute, though if they thoroughly read your info, they'd be nitwits for doing so.

Message 4 of 7
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

would a fraud alert show up on my USAA reports or would I have to pull the whole thing again?

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It impacts different places differently. For example, a FA while subscribed to SW won't result in any alerts. I had a FA once for DW and the only report I tried to pull was EQ from Equifax.com. We had to jump through hoops but it worked out in the end.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would leave it alone.

When any party requests a copy of a consumer's credit report, they must have on record with the CRA a stated permissible purpose for the inquiry.

Most credtiors and businesses that do regular inquiries have provided the CRA a general statement of the permissible purposes for which their inquiries are made, and as long as an inquiry is for one of the reasons set forth in their general certification, they dont have to provide a separate certification with each inquiry.

When you sent an inquiry for the credit report, the CRA accepted it for the purpose on file of the business, most likely for permissible purpose of review of a consumer initiated request for credit or services.  Your inquiry thus technically violated the statutory requirement to identify the actual purpose of receipt of  the credit report.

You really dont have clean hands when it comes to challenging how they coded it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.