cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing credit report

tag
xtremeone

Disputing credit report

I have a question. Recently I disputed about 90% of the negative accounts on my report. Some of the items include past due credit cards that have been sold to collections. However I have the original creditor, the collection company and yet another company that bought the account. That makes three times the same account shows up. It doesn't seem right for all three to be reporting on the same account. I just disputed everything that I had an issue with. Yesterday I get a letter from MidLand Credit Management wanting me to send them proof of my dispute. Is this because they have no proof of my debit and need something to send back to the credit bureau? I am not going to send anything back to them of course because I don't really have anything. The letter also said that they contacted all the bureaus and told the to show in dispute. I guess that would be normal but it said I had 30 days or 90 days don't remember right off to send this info to them or the report would remain the same. I thought they were the ones that had to provide the proof of the account. I will post a pic of the letter received this afternoon so you can get a better idea of what is going on. I really am not understanding this. If anyone has any info please let me know.

Thanks

xtremeone

Starting Score: 631
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Disputing credit report

It depends on what they are asking for.  If it is proof you are responsible, don't send them anything.

If they want something showing it was fraud, and it is, I would send it.

Message 2 of 7
sassyj9374
Established Member

I had the same thing happen to me when I got a dunning letter form Midland. They were asking me for proof but they are the ones who are trying to collect. Shouldn't they already have the proof? So, I typed a letter asking for VALIDATION (proof that they have the right to collect, how much I owe and so forth) I sent that off CMRR and within a matter of a week or so it was gone fromall of my reports. They are junk debt buyers and unless they can prove that you owe that account, don't send them anything. Make them prove it to you.

NFCU nREWARDS~ $2500
NavCheck~ $2000
NFCU cash rewards ~$1500
Cap1~ $500
VS ~$350
Cap 1 (sc)~ $300
Walmart $300
Message 3 of 7
xtremeone

I didn't get a chance to post the letter yesterday but here it is. Thanks for the response sassy is this what your letter looked like. Im wondering if I should send them a letter as well asking them to prove the debt to me? Any advice would be much appreciated.

http://s22.postimg.org/8kh2749rl/Edited_credit_letter.jpg

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

What reason did you dispute it for?

The letter is not asking you to give them any information other than something to support your dispute.  They do have a right to ask for that information.

The OC and account number are listed on the letter so it isn't as if they cannot find your account or not prove they are collecting.  They want you to prove the reason you disputed.

Message 5 of 7
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Yea, they are basically asking that you send over anything that should preclude them from collecting. Obviously they don't want to waste their time trying to collect on a fraudulent debt, a debt that was already paid or a debt against someone who is not alive any longer to pay up.

Message 6 of 7
xtremeone

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess i should have realized that if they had an account number then they had some sort of proof. Thanks again for clarifying.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.