Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing medical and charge off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing medical and charge off

Hey All,

My mom is trying to get her credit in check. She has several med collections. Most around $35. They are actual derogatory marks on her report. My younger brother had used her med insurance, as well as my out of state father's insurance. His was secondary. It took them a while to pay, I guess. They should all have been paid by this insurance, but are on her report. Do we just need to get proof from her insurance that they were all paid? She we request removal directly from the hospital or doctors office that sent the bill to collections, or gather documentation that shows paid by secondary insurance and dispute thru the CRA's?

She also had a store card with a charge off. She ended up with a new acct number and didn't know it. So she kept paying the old acct. The correct on shows seveal missed payments because of this. There was also a balance when they shut it down that she had paid to the old acct. She's called them in the past and they tell her they'll take care of it. But they never do. What could we do to dispute that properly?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputing medical and charge off

The CRAs recently entered into a consent decree with the New York State Office of the AG to remove medical derogs if the debt has been paid by insurance.

Send a copy of proof of payment by the insuror to the CRA and request deletion of the derogs based on the consent decree.

As for the charge-off, she has a billing related issue on a charge card.

They continued to accept payments.

I would treat by way of dispute under the Fair Credit Billing Act if she became aware within the last 90 days.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. The charge off was past 90 days. I think a yr or more. Should we still dispute it thru the cra or contact the customer service line again?
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would pursue the charge-off by contact with their executive office, not their customer service number.

I assume they deposited the payments she made, so there is also error on their part in processing payments on a dead account without noticing the consumer.

I would speculate that someone in upper-management would grant a deletion of reporting of delinquencies if they suffered no monetary loss.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.