cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing old collections

tag
Crazyfist

Disputing old collections

I fought for 2 years to have 2 paid charge offs from First Premier removed from my reports.  FINALLY a few months ago, I succeeded in having both of those, as well as a charge off my ex-wife never paid (I was a co-signer... I paid after it was charged off) removed from Equifax.    I don’t know if they were just tired of my disputes or what - but it caused my score to shoot up.  They are still on Experian and Trans though, so now I'm going to start working on those.  What I'm afraid of is having them re added to the EQ if I start disputing based on the fact they are not reporting the same to all CRAs.

What is the best way to dispute these, and should I be worried about them being put back on EQ when i start the dispute process?

I also have a new collection that was just placed on EX, which is bogus.  it's for an old Sprint account, after I switched to Verizon. (ETF fee)  I paid sprint directly when they sent a bill, (which oddly came after they sent it to the collection agency).  Do I need to contact the Collection agency directly, or just dispute it with EX?

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Disputing old collections

I would call sprint and see if they can send something to the CA stating it was paid and the account was referred in error. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it AFNI reporting? They did that to me, too. I have heard if you file a BBB complaint, the account will disappear fast!

Message 3 of 5
Crazyfist

No, It's Allied.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirement that information be reported uniformly to all CRAs.  They can choose to report or deletie with only selective CRAs.

The reporting requirement is that any information must not knowingly be inaccurate.

Thus, that alone is not basis for a dispute.  And yes, a dispute could result in their reinsertion with the one CRA unless that deltion came about as a result of their inability to verify the accuracy of that reporting in a prior dispute.

If they voluntarily deleted, such as in response to a GW request, there are no special requirements necessarty to simply reinsert.

If the reporting is accurate, the proper route  is to purse a request for their good-will deletion.  Disputes are unlikely to promote good-will.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.