Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ditech (Orig: Green Tree) Second Mortgage HELP

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Ditech (Orig: Green Tree) Second Mortgage HELP

Hello,

My credit scores have rebounded tremendously since working the last two years on paying off all my debts. I have just one major debt that remains other than some family tax leins. The debt is a $30k second mortgage debt that has a last payment of 08/2011. The statute of limitations in the state the property exists is 5 years from date of last payment and it's 4 years in my current state. Just to be safe, I am waiting until September 1st to contact the debt owner, Ditech... just to be sure not to wake a sleeping giant. By my attorney's calculation they have about 45 days from today to file against me or they give up any right to sue going forward.

Many have given me advice that at the point the SOL is in place, I can offer a settlement for removal from credit report. Does anyone have a guideline or suggestion as to what I should offer being that otherwise I am waiting 18 months - 24 months for it to be removed from my credit reports as too old?

I was considering drafting a offer/letter from my attorney that stated I would offer 10% of the balance being that they cannot sue me for the debt and a judgment isn't possible. Is 10% a good starting number or is it too high or too low for an old second mortgage?

Any help would be appreciated. If all else fails, I'm just waiting 18-24 months depending on the CB to request removal.

Thanks in advance.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Ditech (Orig: Green Tree) Second Mortgage HELP

It's hard to say what the 10% offer would do for settlement. It depends on that lender and how they do business. It sounds like a low percentage, but you never know. Sticking close to your attorney in this process is a good idea.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 7
dragonfly66
Frequent Contributor

@dallasareaguy wrote:

Hello,

My credit scores have rebounded tremendously since working the last two years on paying off all my debts. I have just one major debt that remains other than some family tax leins. The debt is a $30k second mortgage debt that has a last payment of 08/2011. The statute of limitations in the state the property exists is 5 years from date of last payment and it's 4 years in my current state. Just to be safe, I am waiting until September 1st to contact the debt owner, Ditech... just to be sure not to wake a sleeping giant. By my attorney's calculation they have about 45 days from today to file against me or they give up any right to sue going forward.

Many have given me advice that at the point the SOL is in place, I can offer a settlement for removal from credit report. Does anyone have a guideline or suggestion as to what I should offer being that otherwise I am waiting 18 months - 24 months for it to be removed from my credit reports as too old?

I was considering drafting a offer/letter from my attorney that stated I would offer 10% of the balance being that they cannot sue me for the debt and a judgment isn't possible. Is 10% a good starting number or is it too high or too low for an old second mortgage?

Any help would be appreciated. If all else fails, I'm just waiting 18-24 months depending on the CB to request removal.

Thanks in advance.

I settled with Ditech (Green Tree) last year.  My situation was that I was trying to sell my house and needed the 2nd mortgage removed.  I was outside the SOL for my state (GA) so I felt comfortable offering a settlement without the worry of getting sued.  At any rate, I tried a lower amount like that, but they wouldn't go for it.  I ultimately ended up settling for 30% of the outstanding balance.  I originally owed something like $22,000 and settled for about $6,600.  I was willing to pay it because I had received an offer on my house and needed to get make sure this was settled so I could sell it.  The one thing I will warn you about is that they can be slow and they will ask for a lot of information.  That was what was so harrowing about my situation because I was under a time frame to thet this done.  I also elected to work through an attorney to get mine done.  I hope this helps.

Current - FICO 3/2019: EX(753); EQ(763); TU(749)
Beginning - FICO 7/2014: EX(630); EQ(608); TU(581)
Credit: Wells Fargo Home Projects Charge Card ($7,800); Wells Fargo Home Rebate Visa ($4,000); Capital One Quicksilver ($10,000); Capital One Venture ($6,000); Discover it ($7,900); Macy's ($20,000); BrandsMart ($4,000); Banana Republic ($1,200); Lowes ($12,000); Amex Everyday ($30,000); Macy's Amex ($15,000); Amex Platinum (NPSL); Citi Diamond Preferred ($9,000); Chase Freedom ($9,000); Wells Fargo Outdoor Solutions ($10,000); SunTrust HELOC ($25,000)
Message 3 of 7
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. When I called them a couple months ago, they did what you mentioned.... said in order to consider a settlement I would need to fill out a bunch of financials disclosing my assets, etc. It's a tough decision. Just 18 months from now I can ask for exclusion from TransUnion, 21 months from Experian, etc. I am not looking to buy a house until almost 3 years from now, so maybe letting my score suffer a little is okay. I know companies have to stick to principles... but if I knew a debt was time barred... I would certainly be willing to accept 10-15% vs. having the client ride it out and get nothing.

I tried this approach with Calvary Portfolio for 2 years on $12k worth of closed business credit card debt they had purchased. The debt was time barred and Even with one year left to go, I offered them $1200 (10%) to show paid in full and they refused. That logic to me just didn't make any business sense. 6 months later they started falling off my reports and now they are gone completely. They sent me a letter a month ago showing my balance and I just shook my head. Obviously they can attempt to collect on it indefinitely because its a debt... but the courts can't help them sue for a judgment and they can't put it on my credit report. Free money wasted.

Again, while I understand principles must be involved... I would still think that a smart debt buyer would have a scale during time barred situations where they know the clock is ticking on the impact the debt has... once its unenforceable by the courts... thats problem 1.... then as they know it approaches 7 years ... the settlement should get lower and lower... shrug

Thanks for the info. 30% of 30k is a a chunk of change for 18-24 months early impact on my scores.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One thing you DONT want to do is to send them financial disclosures prior to expiration of SOL.

That will give them almost unequivocal basis to determine, if they sue, whether there is blood in the stone for a subsequent writ of satisfaction of any judgment they might secure.  Leave them guessing until SOL is expired.

Message 5 of 7
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

One thing you DONT want to do is to send them financial disclosures prior to expiration of SOL.

That will give them almost unequivocal basis to determine, if they sue, whether there is blood in the stone for a subsequent writ of satisfaction of any judgment they might secure.  Leave them guessing until SOL is expired.

Smiley Happy  AGREED! Thanks!

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I'd like to know if you've any updates on your situation?

I too am in a similar situation with Ditech.

I've a second mortgage that was converted into debt, after not paying either for the last 2 years, and bought by ditech a year ago in the amount of $70K.

Originally I was going to sell the house thru Short sale with the amount being given for relocation by the first mortgage going to Ditech to release the lein and settle the debt. Apparently this is standard operating procedure.
DItech verbaly said it's seems acceptable but wants all my financials to see if they will accept the $22K or if I can pay more.

I've explained if they don't take it I'll let the bank forclose and claim bankruptcy on both morgtages plus my credit cards. I'm 46 and have not intention of buying aother house.

Yet they still want my financials.
I can't figure out why they would rather lose a guranteed $22K to $0.00 in bankrutpcy? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.