Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversified Consultants..Scum of the Earth

tag
3piecechickendinner
Established Member

Diversified Consultants..Scum of the Earth

On November 14, 2013 I began receiving phone calls from Diversified Consultants about a T-Mobile debt that I allegedly owe.  I gave them my mailing address and asked them to provide me with a written explanation about the debt.  On November 15, 2013 I mailed Diversified Consultants a debt verification letter via USPS and they received the letter on November 22, 2013.  No information about this debt was ever provided to me in writing. On December 13, 2013 my Equifax credit report alerted me that Diversified Consultants had placed the T-Mobile account on collections.  After calling Diversified Consultants they informed me that they sent a notice to the reporting agencies to delete the item from my report.  My complaint is that they violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act 15 U.SC. 1692g that requires that debt collectors cease collection of a debt until verification of that debt is mailed to consumers.  Ive sent certified letters to the CRA, Georgia Governor's Office of consuer protection and to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is this enough??? Should I sue them in Small claims court?

Starting Score: 556 EQ/ 612 TU
Current Score: 645 EQ/ 655 TU/ 667 EX
Goal Score: 720 EQ and TU by 1/2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Diversified Consultants..Scum of the Earth

There was a violation in my opinion.  By what you have posted, you sent a DV within a timely manner and should have placed a cease collection bar on the debt until such time as they have verified.  By placing this on your CR, that would be considered an attempt to collect thereby creating a violation.

Now, is this a valid debt?  Is it within SOL?  You might have a little leverage in keeping this from your CR if you were to negotiate a settlement.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

I don't think it would be worth your time and effort to sue. 

This is their ammo, they did the same thing to me and a ton of others recently.  They claim the debt validation is a dispute even when you put in the letter "this is a request for validation, this is not a dispute" I would file complaints with the CFBP and BB so it is on record what they have done, the more it is recorded the better chance the scum will be  shut down.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they recevided a timely DV, then yes it is a violation of FDCPA 809(b) for them to continue any collection activity, including reporting to a CRA, until they have first provided the requested debt validation.

Is it woth bringing legal action?

In my opinion, probably not. 

You may prevail, but with little gained.  The court may find a violation, but since they have stated that they are deleting, I see no substantial issue of damages.

That would most likely be the resulting court order, and thus little gained other than a slap on their wrist.

The CFPB complaint will most likely provide any desired slap for violation, but they are unlikely to take sanctions since the debt collector immediately rectified.

The deb collector can provide verification at any time, and then immediately re-report, thus obviating any issue of improper reportng.

Message 4 of 6
3piecechickendinner
Established Member

This is not a valid debt and I have no idea where this came from.  How can a company continue to operate like this when they are outright violating the law...It seems that a civil suit would only cost me time and money, but if there are more people out there in my situation with this company why not take them on and file a class action law suit.  Im tired of these companies treating us like peons!  In my case, they have truly messed with the Bull and Im determined to give them the horns!

Starting Score: 556 EQ/ 612 TU
Current Score: 645 EQ/ 655 TU/ 667 EX
Goal Score: 720 EQ and TU by 1/2014

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Fill out an FTC Fraud Affidavit and police report.  If the debt is reporting, send them both to the CRA and tell them to block the account.

Send the same forms to the CA and tell them the account is fraud and you want all documentation pertaining to the account.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.