Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divorce leaving me with no credit, need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Divorce leaving me with no credit, need advice

I only have a bank card. I do work on and off ( w-2 contracts). Not sue what PFD is.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I have 3 small store cards that are open. Gap, kohls and Macy's.
Message 12 of 23
K_J
Regular Contributor

I think you will need one revolving credit lines or a credit card to add to your store cards. I also think you will need proof of steady income for you to buy a house in your name. PFD means pay -for -delete. Try to read-up and search the forum for situations similar to yours, I think there are sample PFD letters on the forum too.  most people here has similar or worse situations so dont be discouraged. rebuilding is a slow process but can be done.

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 23
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

I'm NOT a Fico expert, still learning...but a positive mortgage tradeline isn't going to negate the damage of three recent charge off accounts. Have they been placed for collection?

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 of the three were negotiated and I am still working on the last one. I agree that it wouldn't negate the charge offs, just looking for some positive marks on my report that could possibly lift my fico score.
Message 15 of 23
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Recent charge-offs might make rebuilding a long journey.  Be sure to research threads here before sending out letters and so on.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 23
SGTRobocop
Established Member

First and foremost, my condolences on your situation. I to have had to rebuild from a divorce, I am a single father of 5 children.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Here is the very best advice I can give you, stabilize now, rebuild/maintain as you go along. If your divorce is complete and you have no court orders to the contrary, do the following ASAP.

1) Separate yourself from your ex financial wise and credit wise immediately!

2) Resolve and close all joint accounts.

3) Establish your own individual tradelines/credit.

4) Once separated credit wise from him, dispute his names on your CRA's.

5) Do not be held accountable for anything with his name on it, IE no more joint accounts, even if positive. Any mistakes he or other influential "friends" he associates with makes a mistake becomes your mistakes.

GoodLuck

1-2012 EX-504/EQ511/TU505
2-2012 EX551/EQ564/TU565
3-2012 EX-577/EQ573/TU602
4-2012 EX-603/EQ677/TU683
5-2012- EX-748/EQ683/TU758
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Any ideas on who might grant me some revolving credit? Are some companies better than others?
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

For some reason, my transition scor is much higher than the other 2. Are there some cc lenders that don't check all three scores?
Message 19 of 23
kjm79
Valued Contributor

I echo SGTRobocop's condolences and suggestions. 

Chase is very good with granting goodwill requests.  Write them a GW letter explaining the situation and ask for them to delete the account (GW=goodwill request).  You could also request email contacts from other board members here who have had recent success.  I'm not sure how Nordstrom is, but another GW letter might be the trick. 

Keep your current cards current an open.  Depending on the last time you used them, it might be a good idea to go put a small charge on them to show some use. 

For any joint accounts or account you or the soon-to-be ex are authorized users on, remove the AU status and close any joint accounts and pay off any with balances if possible to lessen the chance of future credit damage. 

Lastly, can you share where you are pulling your reports and scores from.  If they are from this site then the score are FICO score, other sites sell scores we call FAKOS and are pretty much worthless.  Just want to make sure you are working with the right info!  And yes, sometimes accounts aren't reported on all three reports.  Depends on the creditor.  You would have to compare reports to see who's not reporting what and then call that creditor and ask if they report to the missing CRA (unless it's a negative account and then you don't want it to report Smiley Wink).  Good luck and you will get through this.  You're overall credit profile isn't really that bad. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.