cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CLOSED accounts count toward my AAofA?

tag
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Do CLOSED accounts count toward my AAofA?

Many years ago, I foolishly closed some paid-as-agreed accounts.  They show on my credit reports as "Closed by Consumer," but are these accounts counting toward my AAofA since they are closed?

Does it ever make any sense, score-wise, to try to get old accounts re-opened and back-dated to their original date opened?

In trying to improve my credit scores and get some higher CLs, I've had to open a couple of new accounts, and now my AAofA has dipped just below 10 years (oldest is 25+ years).  I'd like to get that AAofA back over 10 years, if possible.

thanks,

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do CLOSED accounts count toward my AAofA?

Yes, with FICO scoring models closed accounts still factor into your AAoA.  That's one of the big discrepancies with Credit Karma and some of the other free scores, they don't factor in closed accounts.  With FICO they stay on generally for 10 years adding on to your AAoA.

This makes good sense.  Say you've paid on a mortgage for 30 years perfectly.  You pay it off, suddenly, that doesn't mean anything?  I wouldn't think that gives a good picture of your credit worthiness.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do CLOSED accounts count toward my AAofA?

@Shogun wrote:

Yes, with FICO scoring models closed accounts still factor into your AAoA.  That's one of the big discrepancies with Credit Karma and some of the other free scores, they don't factor in closed accounts.  With FICO they stay on generally for 10 years adding on to your AAoA.

This makes good sense.  Say you've paid on a mortgage for 30 years perfectly.  You pay it off, suddenly, that doesn't mean anything?  I wouldn't think that gives a good picture of your credit worthiness.

Thanks, Shogun -- it DOES make good sense.  Glad to hear that my few "oldies but goodies" TLs are helping my score, even though they're closed.

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.