Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CRAs have to remove old addresses?

tag
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Do CRAs have to remove old addresses?

I read on another forum that you should always write and ask CRAs to delete old addresses.  But another article I read said that they can list your past 3 addresses.  Is there any point in writing to have the old ones removed?  I've read that if you have them removed and dispute something that had an old address, there's a better chance of it being deleted because the addresses won't match, so that sounds good.  But do they HAVE to remove them just because I ask?  Should I bother?  What about old employers?  Does any of that info matter?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Re: Do CRAs have to remove old addresses?

Bump...

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, in an attempt to have ACCURATE information reporting, I have asked Experian, Equifax and Transunion to make corrections and list my current address only but, they must think I'm trying to pull some monkey business or work the system somehow because, they won't make any changes of any kind to my personal information which is FAR from accurate. 

Message 3 of 12
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Hmph.  Yeah, this is what I'm wondering about.  This person in another forum says to include a copy of a bill with your correct address.  But if they're allowed to list old ones, I don't know how this would help.  Also it's supposed to make identity theft easier if they include old addresses...  So I wonder...

Message 4 of 12
aerochick31093
Valued Member

I was able to have some old addresses removed ( 15+ years old) with EQ and TU by calling them. I didn't contact EX as they are not showing old ones. I was told by EQ that they would delete them as long as there was not a creditor associated with that address on the credit report. They were deleted that day. TU took a little longer and took talking to 2 different people but they removed them also.

Message 5 of 12
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

aerochick, what reason did you give them (if any)?  What finally convinced them to delete the old ones?

Message 6 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

FYI I got all the different addresses off of TU and EQ but EX is a pain in the butt  EX is actually reporting a completely      different   last name when I spoke to them they said that the CA reported it DUH DUH DUH  Not too bright.  I moved around alot for work so basically condos and apt comlexes...do whatever you can to get those old addresses off. They will haunt you like they did me. Also I belive you look more stable on a manual review of your report.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something else to consider. I read this on another forum so I cannot confirm or deny it. If you have a tradeline associated with an old address that is no longer active and being reported it may disappear also after removing an old address. This would be of importance if that tradeline was helping your score by the length of time you had it and being in good standing. Just something to think about.

Message 8 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It's primarily an issue of helping to ensure that information reported to the CRA gets matched with the proper file.

The more complete the personal identifiers, the less the chance of mismatching.

If a creditor happens to report with listing of an old address, it will help the CRA to identify you as having previously matched that address.

Message 9 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

I dont know about what identifiers these CA's use but here was my experience.

I would get phone calls all day and night for people associated with address that was old. Now on experian I have a different last name associated with my credit file. ANd by different I mean completely  wrong. Not even a chance it was a spelling error.The rep told me the company reported it so we added it to your names because I had lived at that address.  I had 25 different  vARIATIONS OF MY NAME AND ADDRESSES that were corporate rentals. Short term.  I got TR down to two EQ down to one and EX still on that.  I feel that my proper name, current address, and even my phone number are enough to help CA match an account. Not to mention my ss#.  Google and facebook. Hell if they cant find your file with all that information they should consider another line of work. Any doctors office utility or cc requires your social proof of address as well as your name.

Dont forget the alerts the CRA'S send to CA's and creditors when there is a change in your file. Always wondered how in the hell did a debt collector suddenly appear at the eleventh hour  when a mortgage is being obtained.Smiley Surprised

I dont know about closed tradelines disappearing after an address has been deleted, but for me personally I feel that when on manual review it looks like you are unstable.  I now get very few of these phone calls. Smiley Very Happy

IMO if it were my report I would cross reference the accounts listed and the addresses to which they were attached and remove any old addresses and or names(divorce mispelling)that didnt directly match with something on my file. When you get lates or CO or CA's dleted if that is associated with an old address get it deleted. JUSY my two cents.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.