Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Goodwill letters work in 2018?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Goodwill letters work in 2018?

My credit score was 770 two weeks ago, now it's 591. I missed a payment on a PNC card by 30 days. I have never missed a payment by 30 days in almost 2 years of having the card. The payment was for $65 and I have since paid off the card in full ($500 limit) and set up auto-pay. I wrote a goodwill letter and sent it to a PNC address I was given over the phone by someone in the credit department. Has anyone had success with goodwill letters, especially to PNC Bank?

What do you think my chances of getting the missed payment removed are? Will my credit score go back up to 700 before I'm 31 (I'm 24, so adding 7 years)? I'm trying to move to a new city in the next 2 months and this is pretty much ruining my moving plans. Please help!!

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do Goodwill letters work in 2018?

Sending one letter one time to a destination given to you by the company's customer service has a low chance of working, but it might.

If you want better results from goodwill, do the goodwill saturation technique: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

I've had accounts with lates that took hundreds of emails, letters, faxes and LinkedIn private messages to get adjusted to all positives.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding, the only issue is there aren't a lot of address for PNC (at least ones I can find). I've only found two apart from the P.O. Box they gave me. Also, I just LinkedIn messaged the CEO (I'm terrified, but I figured why not?)

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep digging. I'm sure you will find more.  You could send a copy of your goodwill letter to every single branch that they have, for instance.  Be persistent.  It'll pay off!

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I LinkedIn messaged one of the richest men in Florida who is a board member of a small bank I had 150D lates on. He asked me how I found him as the info was deeply buried. I told him I saw him in a photo on Flickr from some charity event the bank did in Haiti, lolol.

He was so impressed with my digging that he asked the finance VP to fix the lates!

Creepy for sure but I say do whatever it takes to show you’re determined and have learned an expensive and painful lesson.

I went thru Congressional records sometimes to find addresses of banks. CPFB letters for collections agencies. Google and Bing and Yahoo and every search engine you can imagine doing thousands of search parameters.

One mean CA I sent printed kitten meme photos with varying text like “PLASE HALP NICE MAN AND DEELEET REKURDS” a dozen times haha. They eventually deleted. One last kitten was hella adorbs.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use the Saturation Technique, I'd say you stand a 99% chance of getting that late payment removed.  It's only a 30 day.  30 day lates are the easiest to get removed, as they are of the lowest severity - especially if you have an otherwise flawless history.

Just hammer away with GW letters.  You will see the result you're looking for, even if it takes a little time.

Message 6 of 17
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Yes they work. I am a testament to that. I had 3 goodwill adjustment granted last year during my rebuilding phase. You have to be persistent and you need to currently be paying on time if the account is still open. Others on this forum has success as well. Give it try and if they deny your request wait a while a resend the request
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CEO actually responded to me on LinkedIn. He said he's not sure if they can remove the late payment, since they're required to report it, but he can "make sure they report the fact that the account it's up to date". Which is what they would've done in a month or so when they regularly report. So I'm kinda disappointed in that response

Message 8 of 17
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

I would reach out to different exec and see if you can convince them to remove it. Remember they are required to report it but they can have it removed if they want to
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a call from the CEO's office (his secretary I'm guessing). They basically told me it's not going to happen and there's nothing they can do. At this point I'm giving up, my credit score should be back where it was in a year or two and I was just worried about getting an apartment, but with a cosigner, I should be fine. I don't have the energy to fight something that was my fault anyway. Thanks for the advice though!!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.