Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Poke A Sleeping Bear?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I Poke A Sleeping Bear?!

So I had an old sprint bill get dropped from my credit report recently but it was unpaid. I called sprint today to actually pay the debt but was told that I had to call ERC to get the debt taken care of. I fear that if I do call them and pay, they will update the account and put it back onto the credit report. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I Poke A Sleeping Bear?!

Is this debt past the SOL in your state?

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I dont believe that it is past SoL. Its a bill for $117. So its not much to pay if I need to. I at the same time dont want to shoot myself in the foot by trying to do the right thing. 

Message 3 of 7
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No I dont believe that it is past SoL. Its a bill for $117. So its not much to pay if I need to. I at the same time dont want to shoot myself in the foot by trying to do the right thing. 

Check and see if the SOL is up.  http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/state-statutes-of-limitations-for-old-debts-1.aspx  If it is, I wouldn't wake the bear, but that's just me!  All of ours are passed the SOL so I'm just trying to get them removed for the way they have been reported on our CR's instead of paying them off.

Good Luck! 

Starting all over again!
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You had the same issue when you called the OC.  They could always reinsert.

I would call the debt collector and make a pay for not reporting offer.

While they could bring civil action if still within SOL, you can avoid a judgment by paying before any trial.

I would not consider that to be a huge factor unless the debt was much larger.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

You had the same issue when you called the OC.  They could always reinsert.

I would call the debt collector and make a pay for not reporting offer.

While they could bring civil action if still within SOL, you can avoid a judgment by paying before any trial.

I would not consider that to be a huge factor unless the debt was much larger.

If I call and ask to pay for the debt before it gets reported, can they still reinsert the debt on my CR after I make the payment? Are they likely to do so?

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they agree not to do so, you have a binding oral contract.

They are not likely to risk lititgation on breach of contract once the debt is paid.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.