Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to dispute with all three?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have to dispute with all three?

I am in the process of rebuilding/cleaning my credit score and I was wondering do I have to dispute with all three credit bureaus to have them remove stuff or do they all "talk" to one another?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do I have to dispute with all three?

It depends upon the outcome of your dispute.

Under the FCRA, if the furnisher determines in their investigation of your dispute that either they cannot verify the accuracy of the disputed information OR that the information requires corrrection, it is not sufficient to correct or delete with only the CRA through which the dispute was filed.  They are requried to additionally report that result to each CRA to which they have reported the disputed information.  See FCRA 623(b)(1)(D).

However, the simple fact that they report a correction or deletion to the CRA handling the dispute is not a clear statement that they found the information to be unverifiable or inaccurate.  Deletion or update may, for example, have been voluntary rather than as a result of a positive finding that the information is unverifiable or inaccurate.

Thus, the requirement to also report to other CRAs cannot readily be evaluated by the consumer based only on a deletion of correction made by the one CRA.

You can file with only the one CRA and hope that they concur with your dispute and then correct of delete with all other CRAs.  That is what the FCRA expects.

However, you will likely receive no explicit statement admitting inaccuracy or unverifiability, and thus will likely thereafter need to file disputes with each of the other CRAs.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I have to dispute with all three?

Thanks!

I will see what happens and go from there.  It is still under investigation at this time.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.