cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need another credit card?

tag

Do I need another credit card?

So I have been reading posts on this site and I see different things regarding the number of cards.

First off, I was just approved for an Amazon card for $1,900 I am usuing this to rebuild my credit. At present I only have 1 collection from 2009 that I am gonna let fall off. I use my Amazon card to make small purchases, which don't cost more than 25 dollars then I pay it off immediately. It's an Amazon store card so it can only be used on that site. I actually don't need a credit card, I am finacially stable and I live within my means and use a debit card for purchases. So would it be wise to open another one just for having more credit? I want to buy a home in the next two years. 

I don't want another credit card if it wouldn't improve my score. I have an auto loan from 2013 I have never missed a payment on, and the Amazon card. That should be enough to prove I pay my bills and raise my score? 

I have read "Only open a credit card if you actually need it" and "It's good to have at least 3 cards" 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
thomasjm99
Regular Contributor

Re: Do I need another credit card?

If you can get a rewards card that gives you cashback/rewards points/miles and simply use it like your debit card then you are leaving money on the table by not doing so.

Your score will benefit by having a good mix of revolving credit and the fact that you dont overspend and pay things off immediately means you should manage that credit well and it will help you in the long term.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try cap 1 pre qual.
Message 3 of 5

Is it too early to apply for another one? I have had the Amazon card for like 2 weeks

Message 4 of 5
crrredit
Established Contributor

It's not too early, especially when you're rebuilding. Three credit cards along with your Amazon store card would be ideal. Also, you said you pay off your Amazon card immediately after making a payment. It would help your score if you let less than 10% report on your statement. Just make sure the card is paid down to less than 10% before your scheduled statement date. After the statement cuts, go ahead and pay it off completely. FICO likes to see all cards except one report zero, and just one card report an amount less than 10%. When you do this, you should get a quick boost to your scores and it might help in getting credit cards. Also, one store card, which you have, is all you need. You need bank credit cards now, three of them, either secured or unsecured. Just use them to buy the things you'd buy anyway, and keep them paid down.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.