cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to add another loan to increase my score?

tag
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

Do I need to add another loan to increase my score?

Hello...I'm trying to get a mortgage.  I'm not sure if I should open a secured $500 loan with my credit union.  Payable for 6 months with 5.25% interest  It will cost me 1 inquiry only to TU.  I have heard this is a good way to increase your score provided you pay on time each month (which I definitely will).  I confirmed they report to EX, TU, and EQ. 

I have 3 open accounts that have been current 7 months.  2 have late pays up to 90 days old in the last 24 months (student loan and car note opened in 2000 and 2006). The other is a CC opened 10/2009 never late.

Not sure if I need to open another installment loan. Now I understand having a mix of credit is best.  This secured loan would be my 3rd in that category.  Any advice.  I included my scores if that helps.

My EQ = 486.  Mostly due to lates pays/CO.  But there are several errors (baddies that aren't mine, getting those removed).  My TU is 550 (more accurate than EQ). 

"[Takes] a whole lot of tryin'...just to get up that hill" Jefferson's theme song. I wanna move on Up!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I need to add another loan to increase my score?

TimeOnMySide wrote:

Hello...I'm trying to get a mortgage.  I'm not sure if I should open a secured $500 loan with my credit union.  Payable for 6 months with 5.25% interest  It will cost me 1 inquiry only to TU.  I have heard this is a good way to increase your score provided you pay on time each month (which I definitely will).  I confirmed they report to EX, TU, and EQ. 

I have 3 open accounts that have been current 7 months.  2 have late pays up to 90 days old in the last 24 months (student loan and car note opened in 2000 and 2006). The other is a CC opened 10/2009 never late.

Not sure if I need to open another installment loan. Now I understand having a mix of credit is best.  This secured loan would be my 3rd in that category.  Any advice.  I included my scores if that helps.

My EQ = 486.  Mostly due to lates pays/CO.  But there are several errors (baddies that aren't mine, getting those removed).  My TU is 550 (more accurate than EQ). 

Personally, I'd recommend against it. First, installment accounts don't have nearly the the same score impact that revolving accounts do. Second (and more important than the first) if you're trying to get a new mortgage any time within the next year, you should probably stop apping for new credit. Thirdly, if you already have an installment loan (auto) you don't need another to enhance your mix of credit. You'd only be lowering your AAoA and paying interest-- money right out of your pocket for little to no gain.

You're going to get the most bang for your buck by working on those baddies. You've noted that you've got some inaccuracies. Tackle those first. You've also got derogs... There is where you need to focus the lion's share of your attention to get raise your score! Goodwill & PFDs is where you'll want to spend your money. Smiley Happy

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything LilMirth said. May I ask how old are those late payments? How many are there? Are they 30 days late? 60, 90? How old is the CO and when was the DOFD (Date of First Delinquency) on that account?

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 5
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

There are several CO/lates some will fall off this year.  Most I will have to try PFD.  Waiting to hear back from DV letters.  I will take both your advice and not open this loan.  Thank you very much!!!

"[Takes] a whole lot of tryin'...just to get up that hill" Jefferson's theme song. I wanna move on Up!
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A definate no recommendation from me.

New inquiry, that may not even be app0roved.

Credit mix is only 10% of FICO, and already having both install and revolv credit makes this diminimus.

Reduction in AAoA, if approved, and monthly interest on the loan.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.