Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

I have the money to payoff the car loan it is at 18% and I owe $6500, should I pay whole thing off or keep a small amount on the loan until I buy another one (standard 48 month loan/Santandar)?

The motocycle is a revolving Kawasaki card was at 10k then they dropped to $5500 and I owe just about $5300, it is through HSBC, should I pay this down or off completely and is there a possiblity for them to change this to a regular card?

It is not the temptation to re-spend on the cards it's the reality of life, hurricane Charlie and BP Oil spill, lost job. In two years I will be an RN and have secure and solid income and plan to continue on to Nurse Practitioner. I am now the dictator of my life and my finances. No longer do I wish to be shackled with 30% interrest, I want to fight with fire but realize I must play the game and will do so until I can receive the rates that the smart and wealth get.

gettingitright

fico 620

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the money to payoff the car loan it is at 18% and I owe $6500, should I pay whole thing off or keep a small amount on the loan until I buy another one (standard 48 month loan/Santandar)?

The motocycle is a revolving Kawasaki card was at 10k then they dropped to $5500 and I owe just about $5300, it is through HSBC, should I pay this down or off completely and is there a possiblity for them to change this to a regular card?

It is not the temptation to re-spend on the cards it's the reality of life, hurricane Charlie and BP Oil spill, lost job. In two years I will be an RN and have secure and solid income and plan to continue on to Nurse Practitioner. I am now the dictator of my life and my finances. No longer do I wish to be shackled with 30% interrest, I want to fight with fire but realize I must play the game and will do so until I can receive the rates that the smart and wealth get.

gettingitright

fico 620

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

I am of the opinion that any debt should be paid off as fast as possible with consideration of a score being secondary. My only caveat is making sure this pay off doesn't deplete any emergency fund you might have. Make the goal of being debt free your #1 priority.

Others may not agree with my debt pay off strategy but that's what makes these forums interesting.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

I agree 100% with MV.

Depending on what your FICO score is and other items in your CR, I might be tempted to pay the HSBC card off first since it is maxed out.  Which ever one you decide to PIF, I would then throw all the extra money your have to PIF the other one once you start you new job.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.