gettingitright

Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

I have the money to payoff the car loan it is at 18% and I owe $6500, should I pay whole thing off or keep a small amount on the loan until I buy another one (standard 48 month loan/Santandar)?

The motocycle is a revolving Kawasaki card was at 10k then they dropped to $5500 and I owe just about $5300, it is through HSBC, should I pay this down or off completely and is there a possiblity for them to change this to a regular card?

It is not the temptation to re-spend on the cards it's the reality of life, hurricane Charlie and BP Oil spill, lost job. In two years I will be an RN and have secure and solid income and plan to continue on to Nurse Practitioner. I am now the dictator of my life and my finances. No longer do I wish to be shackled with 30% interrest, I want to fight with fire but realize I must play the game and will do so until I can receive the rates that the smart and wealth get.

gettingitright

fico 620

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

Re: Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

gettingitright wrote:

I have the money to payoff the car loan it is at 18% and I owe $6500, should I pay whole thing off or keep a small amount on the loan until I buy another one (standard 48 month loan/Santandar)?

The motocycle is a revolving Kawasaki card was at 10k then they dropped to $5500 and I owe just about $5300, it is through HSBC, should I pay this down or off completely and is there a possiblity for them to change this to a regular card?

It is not the temptation to re-spend on the cards it's the reality of life, hurricane Charlie and BP Oil spill, lost job. In two years I will be an RN and have secure and solid income and plan to continue on to Nurse Practitioner. I am now the dictator of my life and my finances. No longer do I wish to be shackled with 30% interrest, I want to fight with fire but realize I must play the game and will do so until I can receive the rates that the smart and wealth get.

gettingitright

fico 620

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

I am of the opinion that any debt should be paid off as fast as possible with consideration of a score being secondary. My only caveat is making sure this pay off doesn't deplete any emergency fund you might have. Make the goal of being debt free your #1 priority.

Others may not agree with my debt pay off strategy but that's what makes these forums interesting.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Super Contributor
marty56

Re: Do I need to keep a car loan on the report

I agree 100% with MV.

Depending on what your FICO score is and other items in your CR, I might be tempted to pay the HSBC card off first since it is maxed out.  Which ever one you decide to PIF, I would then throw all the extra money your have to PIF the other one once you start you new job.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}