cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Police Departments PFD?

tag
DanaC

Do Police Departments PFD?

I think I already know the answer, but I'll give it a shot....

I currently have 6 Unpaid Collections reporting on my CR, ranging from 2 - 6 1/2 years old.   All of them are traffic tickets issued by police, that were never paid. The legal penalty was a 2-year Drivers License supension.  Since my license was already suspended,  I figured I'd save a few bucks by letting the suspensions run their time.  WRONG! 

They are now with a CA.  I am wondering if I should even attempt to write a PFD for these collection accounts?  If so, do I write it to the OC (Courts)?  I believe they can always certify the debts and intercept my State income tax returns.  Which tells me, one way or another, they will get their money, and they have the power to take it from me, so why Negotiate?   I know from experience that Government agencies can intercept taxes for fines, but I do not believe that CA's have that authority.  Anyone know for sure? 

I haven't bothered to DV because I know they are valid and they have proof of that.  I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to have these removed, or will I just have to wait until the SOL is up?  Is a PFD over tickets and fines a waste of time? 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!  

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: TU 730 EXP 715 EQ 705/b>
Goal Score: 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Re: Do Police Departments PFD?

I don't think the PD would be involved in the process whatsoever.  It seems the points of contact would be the CA and the court...it doesn't hurt to try PFD

Message 2 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

You would offer a PFD to the CA. If they refuse to accept the PFD worse case would be a PIF and then send GW letters to the CA. The CA has no involvement with taxes being taken from you. If they choose to go legal then a judgement (You will need to be served first before that happens) could be placed on your Credit Report which will be a major derogatory. I am not sure what state or city you're in. I live in the Chicagoland area and the City Of Chicago doesn't mess around with tickets. My friend got served for unpaid tickets that went back 20 yrs. 

Message 3 of 9
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

In Washington DC, the collection agency automatically deletes once payment in full is made. Between my husband and me, we've gotten at least 10 tickets that have gone to collections over the past 8 years. All were deleted. Hopefully they'll do the same in your state.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 4 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You would offer the PFD to the CA.  You would contact whoever is servicing the account and deal with them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 9
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Good question. Any updates? 

Message 6 of 9
DanaC

Update:  I disputed the tickets with all 3 bureaus, and they were successfully deleted.  So I didn't even need to send a DV or a GW or PFD.  Lucky me! 

Message 7 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@DanaC wrote:

Update:  I disputed the tickets with all 3 bureaus, and they were successfully deleted.  So I didn't even need to send a DV or a GW or PFD.  Lucky me! 

I hope you understand that as long as your debts are unpaid, they can be sold off to a different CA, who can then insert their own listing into your CR's.  Plus, like others have said, there is always the possibility that you will be served with a judgment, which will really screw up your reports.  The deletion doesn't make the debt go away.  If you want to make sure this doesn't become an even bigger problem later, it would be wise to pay the tickets.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 8 of 9
DanaC

I do understand that, and I am prepared to pay them, now that they're deleted.  Some of the tickets have already been paid, the rest will be paid for soon.  I'm just excited that they deleted them, and I didn't have to DV them or PFD them first.  I'll still get it in writing before I make full payment. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.