cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do disputes look bad on a credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do disputes look bad on a credit report?

I am in the process of repairing and improving my credit with the hope and intent of purchasing a new car early next year. I filed a dispute on some medical bills simply asking them to verify the accounts. Some that were incorrect were removed, and the ones that were validated are now showing "Consumer disputes this account information" on the account on my credit report. I plan to PFD these remaining accounts (all except one large medical bill that I cannot afford, so it'll be stuck there a while). In the meantime, does this look bad to have on a report when trying to re-build my credit, which includes trying to become a member of a credit union (to begin a savings account and build a relationship with them for a future loan). If this does look bad, is there a way to request that the comments be removed?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do disputes look bad on a credit report?

Having filed a dispute does not per se look bad.  It looks like the consumer saw an inaccuracy and dealt with it.

What "looks bad" to a prospective creditor is a dispute that is still pending, and not show as having been resolved, regardless of its resolution.

Prior to conclusion of a dispute, certain OC account information, such as derogs, are exluded from your scoring.  Thus, a creditor cannot rely upon the score they obtain until the disptue is concluded, and thus the full file is being scored.

Your disputes show that they have been concluded.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do disputes look bad on a credit report?

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel better! The disputes have all been resolved, so I was just worried about the comments that they had been disputed. I will now begin to work on PFD letters for the remaining ones. Thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.