Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do loans lower average age of credit

tag
ori68
New Contributor

Do loans lower average age of credit

Do loans lower average age of credit? I know a new credit card can lower it, thus lowering credit score, but what about loans? I have a secured loan that I am thinking of paying off soon. I just had a baddie removed from my account and I believe my fico credit score should pass 700 in the next few weeks. I would like to apply for a discover it or a chase freedom card and I’m looking for ways to increase my score further.

The secured loan term is only a 6 month, and I’m about 2 months into it now. I figure if its not helping, the $500 deposit on it should help lower my utilization on my credit cards. What yall think?Smiley Happy

Discover FICO 759(04/15)
Barclaycard FICO 763 (04/15)
Citi FICO 736 (04/15)
BOA Experian 744 (05/15)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Do loans lower average age of credit

A loan is factored into your AAOA, but creating a "mix" of credit may negate the loss of points.

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Any new OC account will impact your AAoA.

Only collections and PRs do not.

Message 3 of 4
ori68
New Contributor

In addition to this 2 month old secured loan, I also have  a 2 month old personal loan that would be matured in 10 month's, and a student loan that is 6 years old. I don't believe this secured loan benefits me much in my mix of loans/credit cards. I got it and shortly after was approved for my third credit card and become a AU on my moms credit card.

Discover FICO 759(04/15)
Barclaycard FICO 763 (04/15)
Citi FICO 736 (04/15)
BOA Experian 744 (05/15)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.