Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not use debit to pay off irs tax lien

tag
jim20j
Valued Member

Do not use debit to pay off irs tax lien

If you pay off your balance with a debit card, they will not release the lien for 30 days. They will not even send you a statement that says you paid off the amount owed. This is because they said that we could do a "debit callback." Which I guess is similar to a stop check for debit cards? Of course they did not tell me this until AFTER I paid the full amount via debit card using their 3rd party payments methods. However, they also stated that you can go to your local irs office with a cashiers check or cash and pay off your lien balance that way, then right there you can file for an immediate withdrawal of lien.

Yes, you can do a direct debit, but if you are in a hurry, that process can take 5 months from start to finish.

Also note. If your tax lien is for a certain year and you owe and are making payments for other additional years, you can just pay off the tax lien just for that tax year itself and get the lien removed.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.