Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DoFD - need some insight

tag
madmann26
Valued Contributor

DoFD - need some insight

So I have this account that I was combing through the payment history and noticed it reported current, then late, current, then late, etc, etc.

It's an old mortgage that falls off next year and GMAC (Ocwen now) is being unforgiving when it comes to Goodwills.

I thought I'd try and argue the DoFD with them and see what happens. It would mean it could fall off this Nov.

Thoughts?

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: DoFD - need some insight

It is the first time you were late and never brought the account current again before it was charged off or sent to collections.

Was it CO'd or a collection account?

Message 2 of 7
madmann26
Valued Contributor

It's a foreclosure.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

On those types of accounts (those with DoFDs), in the payment history, the OK doesn't mean it was paid.  I believe, in this case, it just means they received nothing from the creditor for those months.  I'll have to find that again but it definitely doesn't mean a payment was made.

What are they showing for a DoFD and what do you say it is?

Message 4 of 7
madmann26
Valued Contributor

It's a difference of a year. Not crucial but was looking for a way to maybe get it off earlier.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A year is a long time when it comes to credit reporting.

You can send them a direct dispute (found in my signature) and outline your concerns about how they are reporting.  It will help if you can provide documentation to back up your claim.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

DOFD is only appled to exclusion of a charge-off or collection.

Did they report either?  If not, then DOFD was not even required to have been reported, and is acedemic as to credit reporting impact.

Even is DOFD is applicable, and they have reported the incorrect DOFD, they can simply correct to relfect the current date.

That inacccuracy alone would not be basis for compelling deletion of a reported charge-off or collection unless they failed to either verify its accuracy as reported or update so as to overcome the inaccuracy.  The goal of the dispute process is to correct inaccuracies, not to remove information based on simple human error.

Reporting of an incorrect DOFD would become a violation of the FCRA  if you can show that their inaccurate reporting was intentional.  It is doubful that they would ever make such an admission.

Worth pursuing to obtain earler CR exclusion, but not to require deletion based on the inaccuracy.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.