cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Collections count against debt to Income ratio?

tag
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Does Collections count against debt to Income ratio?

I applied for two loans one bank said I was below 20% the other said that I was at 284% debt to income ratio. The only thing I can think of is the other bank counted unpaid collections against my debt to income ratio and the other didnt.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Does Collections count against debt to Income ratio?

@dodgeball wrote:

I applied for two loans one bank said I was below 20% the other said that I was at 284% debt to income ratio. The only thing I can think of is the other bank counted unpaid collections against my debt to income ratio and the other didnt.

I'm guessing that's what happened, although with collections you generally don't have a monthly payment, just an outstanding balance.   So they must have factored the balance into your outstanding debt total.    What is the total outstanding amount of your collection accounts ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I have a outstanding balance on collections of about 3000 all medical, but with current payments dont even exceed 100%. But I have never heard of lenders doing this. I have applied for several loans and my loan to debt ratio has never exceded 30% even with the collections on my records. I guess some banks do it diffrent than others.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 7
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Bump does anybody know for sure if they do this

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my credit pulled for a preapproval (March 1) and my collections account was factored into my debt to income ratio too. It's a small account (thankfully) but I have sent a PFD to hopefully lower my debt to income by their standards.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debt is debt, regardless of its collection status.

What a debt collector reports on their collection account reflects the amount of debt they are authorized to collect.

If the OC still owns the debt, then technically what the debt collector reports is not debt owed to them but merely debt they are authorized to collect on behalf of the owner.

However, if the debt collector has purchased the debt, what their collection is then reporting is still the debt they are authorized to collect, but is also then becomes debt they own.

Debt itself is only reflected once in your credit report.  If the OC sells the debt, then they are required to update their reporting to $0 debt owed.

By just looking at a collection, it is usually not possible to tell whether it also reflects ownership of the debt itself.  In calculating your amount of debt, the bank should be saavy enough to know to only count a debt under collection once.

Message 6 of 7
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

I have a collection that shows as a collection on TU but not on EQ/EX.  So, on TU it is NOT figured into my ratio but on EQ and EX it is.  Perhaps that is what's happening with your CR.  Someone pulled one and someone else pulled another.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.